Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need a price point to pay from someone that's a little more knowledgeable than I. Thank you for your knowledge and your time. IMG_2332.JPG IMG_2333.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Variety matters, as much or more than condition. You need to know that before determining the value.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty coin for sure. These days I generally will only buy a slabbed coin if it's the expensive type, as I don't really know coins well.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$370 means nothing, although I suspect it was not being sold in a place that something rare could slide under the radar.

Just to show you what a high grade combined with a rare variety looks like.... but it's the variety that is driving the price way more than the condition. Well it's both, but I'm sure you know what I'm saying. Condition and common and it's likely a 1k coin.

Stack's Bowers > Browse Auctions > LotDetail

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$370 means nothing, although I suspect it was not being sold in a place that something rare could slide under the radar.

Just to show you what a high grade combined with a rare variety looks like.... but it's the variety that is driving the price way more than the condition. Well it's both, but I'm sure you know what I'm saying. Condition and common and it's likely a 1k coin.

Stack's Bowers > Browse Auctions > LotDetail

OMG!! I just fell in love. Lol you gonna have to excuse me but I just looked up the definition of a "variety" of coin and I still don't get it. What I got out of it was it was how it was struck?

Explanation: Any coin struck from a die pair that differs from others with the same date and mintmark, such as one exhibiting die doubling, different style letters or numerals, or a repunched mintmark

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG!! I just fell in love. Lol you gonna have to excuse me but I just looked up the definition of a "variety" of coin and I still don't get it. What I got out of it was it was how it was struck?

Explanation: Any coin struck from a die pair that differs from others with the same date and mintmark, such as one exhibiting die doubling, different style letters or numerals, or a repunched mintmark

1787 Fugio Cents

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I have ALOT to learn Lol. Patch which one would you recommend me to look for up to $500?

The rarer the variety the higher the price, so considering you're not an advanced collector I would suggest you stick to the most common varieties and that way you coin get the best looking coin for your money. Usually when a coin is for sale it lists both the variety and rarity, with the rarity being on a scale from 1 to 10. A rarity 8, like the high dollar coin I posted the link to would be shown as a "rarity-8" or just "R-8". I think you want to look for a rarity 1-3, maybe 4... although I'm not even sure if any Fugio is as common as a 1 or a 2.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The rarer the variety the higher the price, so considering you're not an advanced collector I would suggest you stick to the most common varieties and that way you coin get the best looking coin for your money. Usually when a coin is for sale it lists both the variety and rarity, with the rarity being on a scale from 1 to 10. A rarity 8, like the high dollar coin I posted the link to would be shown as a "rarity-8" or just "R-8". I think you want to look for a rarity 1-3, maybe 4... although I'm not even sure if any Fugio is as common as a 1 or a 2.

Thank you for educating me on this.

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Iron Patch said,Variety!!! And quality.The Fugio in OP moneywise could be good,could be BAD.Only seller&buyer know's that(in MY opinion).Any quality Fugio is going to cost at least$1000.00 again in MY opinion.If you are serious about buying theses coppers get the book! Or A book that cover's fugios exstensively.I say COLONIAL&EARLY AMERICAN COINS/Q.David Bowers great book! I LOVE seeing ANY early american copper.HAPPY HUNTING ALL!!! DSCI8889.JPG DSCI8888.JPG DSCI8897.JPG DSCI8895.JPG DSCI8896.JPG DSCI8898.JPG DSCI8891.JPG DSCI8893.JPG PRICES all OVER THE PLACE:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread