The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of Grandma's collection. What tribe and how much worth in dollars.. like I've said in other post would be willing to donate but not to just anyone View attachment 1455316 View attachment 1455317 View attachment 1455318 View attachment 1455319 View attachment 1455320

Nice perry. I have no idea what tribe made those? If you actually do donate those, you should only donate (or try to sell them) to a Native American Museum! They will also be able to identify what tribe made them, age and value.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The first pot shard is made up of two different pots. The two halves were stitched together from found pieces. You can see how the curve of the pot is very different on the two halves. These assembled pieces are fairly common.

The second pot looks Mexican. Possibly Oaxacan native. This style has been made there for a very long time. You can get an idea of how modern it is by flicking the rim with your fingernail, if it goes *thud* it could be pre 20th century, if it has a ringing sound it's modern.

The third one appears to be a Hohokam corrugated pot. Could be anywhere from about 1200 AD to 1840's. There were many other tribes that made this type of pot, usually for bulk dry goods storage. This one looks a lot like Hohokam pots I've handled but this style of pot has been made in China, Africa, Indonesia, South and North America throughout history. If your grandmother lived in the Cave Creek area and the pot was found there it's more than likely Hohokam.

Value would be in the eye of the beholder. Not knowing where or when they were found pretty much puts them in the class with all other clay pots. If there were some culturally identifying designs or a document about where they were found the value would be considerably enhanced.

You might consider calling the Heard Museum in Phoenix. They used to have a program to help identify objects from peoples personal collections.

Last edited:

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a lot of times you can see what cord/material they used (it's imprinted onto the sides) they did this to hold shape during the drying and firing process, that can indicate sometimes...sometimes...which plants were used to make the cordage, that can help some folks determine a geographic location. But I would look at what Clay Diggins wrote, good advice for that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions