Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love hearing some opinions on what grade you think this is and how much it's worth? IMG_0514.JPG IMG_0515.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some might say the coin looks either dipped, whizzed or having been subjected to some other cleaning process--which would detract from its grade and value. If you think it is MS60 or better you may wish to have it professionally graded--to relieve all doubters.
Don.....
PS: For reference: http://coinauctionshelp.com/page22.html#.WUNVS-urqUk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some might say the coin looks either dipped, whizzed or having been subjected to some other cleaning process--which would detract from its grade and value. If you think it is MS60 or better you may wish to have it professionally graded--to relieve all doubters.
Don.....
PS: For reference: http://coinauctionshelp.com/page22.html#.WUNVS-urqUk

Thanks for that

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Can you take pictures using the macro mode on a camera. We all know the 3-cent piece is ridiculously small and it is difficult, but the scanner creates extremely harsh glare. The coin has been cleaned. The sheen doesn't match the wear pattern (plus there is still gook in the nooks and crannies of the lettering and other devices. That being said, it is still an awesome coin.

It would likely grade in the Fine to Very Fine range ($60 - $90 retail value)

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you take pictures using the macro mode on a camera. We all know the 3-cent piece is ridiculously small and it is difficult, but the scanner creates extremely harsh glare. The coin has been cleaned. The sheen doesn't match the wear pattern (plus there is still gook in the nooks and crannies of the lettering and other devices. That being said, it is still an awesome coin.

It would likely grade in the Fine to Very Fine range ($60 - $90 retail value)

I think you're right on

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Don that the coin looks cleaned. However I like shiny silver coins and think this little sucker is AMAZING! Is this your coin? Where did you get it? I love the little thing. My "Precious".:evil6:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love hearing some opinions on what grade you think this is and how much it's worth? View attachment 1462594 View attachment 1462595

I have not looked at the other reply's yet.

Also I don't have my grading book now, & don't know the "high" points on a type 1 3 center.

Maybe ??? A Good VF , with a 'Cleaning' Details Grade.

I love those 'O ' mint coins tho...:usflag:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Don that the coin looks cleaned. However I like shiny silver coins and think this little sucker is AMAZING! Is this your coin? Where did you get it? I love the little thing. My "Precious".:evil6:

How much do you think it's worth? I'm considering it?

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much do you think it's worth? I'm considering it?

I just checked E-bay and they are all over the board on prices. If you want one for collection I think this is a wonderful example and first year New Orleans minted coin. 720,000 produced. Heck if I really wanted it I'd give at least $100.00 dollars for it. BUT, I am not really a coin collector. I am a treasure hunting hoarder that doesn't even keep track of my better finds. I have a trime around my house somewhere but, I can't honestly remember where it's at like most of my recovered coins. In the condition it's in cleaned or not I feel it should be worth around $100.00 bucks. I don't think you'd be getting hurt at that price and it's value will only appreciate with time like all real money. Hope this helps.

mattmcguire

Jun 28, 2017
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like one for the collection, great find!

Haven't found anything close to that during my own treasure hunting adventures sigh...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would agree with the VF-30 Grade and that it likely has been cleaned which degrades from it's value. However, the coin appears to have Die Clashing and possibly Counter-Die Clashing or both on the Reverse inside and around the periphery of the ("III") denomination which adds back some to the value. My best guess would be anywhere from $90 to $110 which is mainly due to the low mintage and Clashing.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would agree with the VF-30 Grade and that it likely has been cleaned which degrades from it's value. However, the coin appears to have Die Clashing and possibly Counter-Die Clashing or both on the Reverse inside and around the periphery of the ("III"") denomination which adds back some to the value. My best guess would be anywhere from $90 to $110 which is mainly due to the low mintage and Clashing.

Frank

Thank Frank I appreciate the advice it really came in handy thank you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions