Nazi Youth Journal/Report

Papasquirrel

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK. So this is the story of how I obtained a Nazi Youth Journal. Years ago, back when eBay was fairly new I was looking around at different items and just happened to come across this journal. It came as a surprise as the category in which it was listed was completely different. I don't remember what it was exactly but I just remember it being in a category where someone that would be looking for an item like it, would never find it. It was at a staring bid of only $3 or $4 and no one had placed any bids, so I took a shot. To my surpise I won it without anyone placing any other bids. Now, from my understanding, items such as swastikas and other memorabilia are illegal to buy or sell in countries such Germany and Austria. The seller of this Journal was selling it from Austria. So my thinking is that the seller was selling it on the American eBay site and quite possibly didn't have the greatest understanding of English, or he was very new to eBay, as was I and most everyone else, and miscategorized the item by accident. In any case I now have this journal years later and I am still unsure of its authenticity or rarity and value if it is found to be genuine. So to describe it a bit, it is bound with string and the paper is a type of "graphing" paper, meaning it is grided. On the very last page there appears to be what could have been the name of the author, but someone tried to erase or scratch it out. Maybe someone wasn't too proud of a family members history and wanted to get the name off? From what I can tell the newspaper clipping pasted in it appear to be legitimate. The journal seems to account key dates from September 1st, 1939 to about February 29th, 1940. And I checked, 1940 was a leap year. So if its a fake, they at least got that right! The entire journal from front to back is 36 pages. Anyways, I was just wondering what everyone thought of it. Look real to you guys? If so, what do you think its worth? Also, can anyone suggest something for me to keep it in, to keep it from deteriorating and getting damaged? Thanks!

Attachments

• 0621172214_HDR.jpg
    0621172214_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 96
  • 0621172214b_HDR.jpg
    0621172214b_HDR.jpg
    791.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 0621172215_HDR.jpg
    0621172215_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
  • 0621172215a_HDR.jpg
    0621172215a_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 85
  • 0621172215b_HDR.jpg
    0621172215b_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are people on here that read German. They will tell you the gramatics and what age group the person that wrote it was in. Hard to tell anything else from the pictures. It looks like a school report from a student. I do not see any swazis in the pictures you posted so it would be legal to sell in Germany Austria etc...Have no Idea of any value. I think it would fall in the line of who wants it and how bad. I like WW2 German items and to be honest, this does not butter the biscuits. But that is me.

Cheers and welcome

OP
OP
P

Papasquirrel

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My pictures probably don't give the best representation of the item, but there are a couple of pictures within the book that have the swastikas. It would also be nice if I could tell who it was written by. I imagine if it was the offspring of some high ranking Nazi official (not very likely, but one can hope) then I imagine that would raise the value a bit.

OP
OP
P

Papasquirrel

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's definitely WWII. It has a clipping of Hitler in it, and mentions Goebbels a couple of times. Also, the dates would correspond with WWII.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct, I think Sheldon was referencing the WWI bi-plane in one of the pics, which caught my eye also..it's a great find regardless...Ddf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread