I just received my 1875 Seated Liberty Quarter (Proof).

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wanted to know if I got a good deal. It has a scratch on the top of the obverse. I got it for $300. Thank you for your time and wisdom. IMG_0608.JPG IMG_0605.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to say, did the buyer provide a grade? Or somewhat of an estimate of a grade...as grading us very subjective and better left to the pros and the collectors that have dealt in old US silver. It's not encapsulated so im sure it hasn't been recently graded so I'm assuming the seller "estimated" grade...your best bet is to package it up, insure it and send it off to NGC or PCGS to be professionally graded and then, and only then can you get a close $$ value...and yes, that scratch will be a big ding. Good luck! Ddf

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's hard to say, did the buyer provide a grade? Or somewhat of an estimate of a grade...as grading us very subjective and better left to the pros and the collectors that have dealt in old US silver. It's not encapsulated so im sure it hasn't been recently graded so I'm assuming the seller "estimated" grade...your best bet is to package it up, insure it and send it off to NGC or PCGS to be professionally graded and then, and only then can you get a close $$ value...and yes, that scratch will be a big ding. Good luck! Ddf

I sent it back. Even if it was worth the $300 I'd rather spend more for one that wasn't such a "problem" coin.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before you send it back, you should had it check out my local coin dealers.

Yeah that cut was worst than I thought. The bad thing is I was thinking if I asked my coin dealer he would wonder why I didn't buy from him. I have been known to over analyze things.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol...u think like I do....I tend to mind-f**k things if u get my drift...I also forgot to mention that the coin appears to have been cleaned too...strike two! I think you made a wise choice...I buy tons of silver coins off of ebay but only for the silver content..no key date or collectible stuff, and it pains me greatly to see coins advertised as "MS"...or "BU", and Helen Keller could see the scratch marks from a harsh cleaning...Ddf

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
none of the major graders will grade this coin. It has serious rim damage. The very best you would get are "Damaged" AU characteristics. You did the right thing sending it back me thinks.
Always buy the best you can afford and if it is damaged you can't afford it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread