Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to send you guys the picture FIRST before I buy. The last 2 purchases I sent back. I studying my coins, but on big purchases I don't feel I have the confidence I need, so I gonna rely on your opinions on this one. This is one of my favorite coins that I want to add to my collection. The seller rates it VF-XF and said he doesn't "think" it was cleaned. I would truly appreciate you opinions on was it cleaned and what's the most I should pay for this coin. I would love to say around $1500 but I think this one will bring more. Thanks again IMG_0639.JPG IMG_0640.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at the dirt pockets in the stars on reverse Where it did not clean I would have to say this coin is cleaned. It is difficult to see grade in pictures but I think this one got washed. IMO

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S> If you are buying by mail and pictures, always best to buy slabbed coins! There is a reason why a $1500 dollar coin is not already slabbed.
Cheers friend

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome Don
When you have an idea of what you are looking for you can return to the coin above and see the darkening between the shield lines and around the stars on the reverse. It becomes obvious. Also remember that a great amount of coins have been cleaned probably more than have not. Good quality rare coins have already been slabbed so start looking at a coin with doubt then prove to yourself otherwise. In pictures it is very difficult to see mint luster vs shiny. and as you see from the video camera angle completely changes the look of a coin in pictures

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not so convinced on the whole "dirt and grime stuck in around the stars and low spots" thing as being a cleaned coin. I sent this one in about 5 years ago and it came back good.
e8d03772bb5e49a511e1d0da0cbfb3cd.jpg
0c9292c96774d331579f963168ae0320.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That said you can say to the seller that the coin for sale "may" have been cleaned and offer 20 to 40% less than asking price, explaining how you are taking all the risk from the coin not being professionally graded.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread