Does Bullet Casings Have Any Value?

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, Iv'e dug many bullet casings while metal detecting most of them are post 1950's and I know that they are just worth the scrap value. But Iv'e also dug many bullet casings from early 1900's to 1950's and I wonder if they have some monitary value. Iv'e dug many readable dates casings from 1906, 1908, 1911 e.t.c. And maybe they are worth a penny or two. So if you know anything about the values around bullet casings please let me know :)

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
depends if the casing was say dug at a civil war site, or some significant battle are... some of the old copper henry cases are unique, but other than that just as you said scrap brass...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not much value in the US.

Possibly different in other countries.

As Sheldon mentioned perhaps a very, very rare cartridge if it was identifiable. People collect cartridges and if that was the only way they might get an example it may be worth a small amount to them. Something like a .58 Schubarth (very rare) or a T.W. Cofer (12 known) might be worth much more.

Last edited:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't come across any that are super rare. Non-dug cases that aren't reloadable be it crushed, split or bulged - I take those ones to the scrap yard for brass content once I get a bucket full.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes to the shooter if they hit their target.

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It depends, I know WW2 casings can be valuable (Not insanely valuable, but maybe worth a few dollars unless they are found on battlefields then they are worth more) and so can older ones, what i would do is look up the head stamps and you will get a lot of information about them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread