Disston Legal Tender Hand Saw

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.k. was helping a friend clean up his garage and came across his Grandpa's hand saw, all dirty-gritty with rust. So of course I dropped everything and located my stones and oil. Cleaned it up and low and behold! There is an etching, which beats all cause there were absolutely no other markings. Just two saw nuts on the handle. No medallion.

The etching is a diamond around the words "Legal Tender". So I toogled around and found pictures of a like saw, and this advertisement for sale on FleaBay-

1917 AD Disston Hand Rip Panel Saws Legal Tender Skew Straight Back Eagle | eBay

The saw looks to be the cheapest saw that ever had the Disston name attached even if attached in a passing maner. They were $10.50 a dozen in 1917 for the 26", about half the price of a D-8 at the time. So it is cheap, economy, home-depot type saw. The type that gets used once and retired to the basement most likely. The type mom uses.:laughing7:

But I have not been able to find one for sale or sold to compare to my friends saw. Not in any of the usual places any way. But i have found images. His saw is an 18" Disston no.100.

Any one have any leads to good hand saw related sites? Any help with the value of this heirloom saw appreciated, thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread