Thinking of buying this and would like a 2nd opinion on value. Thank you.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a custom made necklace featuring a 1799 Draped Bust Silver Dollar in VF condition. It is attached to a heavy 18" stainless steel chain. The bail is 14k gold. The ends of the chain and the coin swivel on 3 pins inside the bail. It is an unique well made heavy piece, in excellent condition.

IMG_2147.JPG IMG_2148.JPG IMG_2149.JPG IMG_2150.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't get it looked at by a legitimate coin dealer before you buy, stay very far away from it.

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
It’s not very fine cause it’s got a big dent in it and it’s holed. Even if it’s real, the value will be greatly reduced.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$700 appears to be the price for a legit one in that condition holed. That gives you the artistic portion and the little bit of gold for free. That assumes it is legit. Even in terrible condition they go for a few hundred. As long as the seller accepts returns as you get it checked out I'd say you can't really go wrong. Nice looking piece, just wish it was silver chain too.

EDIT: I see the seller does not accept returns, I'd be very cautious.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just on the face of the concept, I would have been very leary. First, if the coin is legit and still worth hundreds, you are talking about taking a $$$ coin and slinging it around your neck to wear down just like if you were rubbing it in your hands all day long. Eventually you would have a smooth silver disc on a chain. Second, if the coin is this valuable, why is it being put on a stainless chain? The value of the chain is typically proportional to the value of the pendant.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just on the face of the concept, I would have been very leary. First, if the coin is legit and still worth hundreds, you are talking about taking a $$$ coin and slinging it around your neck to wear down just like if you were rubbing it in your hands all day long. Eventually you would have a smooth silver disc on a chain. Second, if the coin is this valuable, why is it being put on a stainless chain? The value of the chain is typically proportional to the value of the pendant.

Now that makes sense. I think I’m gonna just get my 1829 Reales I found a bezel and wear that and just get a 1799 Slabbed. IMG_1998.JPG IMG_1997.JPG

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A7098460-AB72-4F4B-A6B0-157ED582944E.jpeg

Another RED FLAG for me was that the chain was stainless steel. Most people know that you do not put a hard metal next to soft metal it will wear. I would expect at least a silver chain since they are so cost effective. But can you imagine the SS chain rubbing on the gold loop holding the coin?

503EE5A5-71E4-486A-A7CC-9E97CC9FAF1C.jpeg
EA0C9B1A-DEB9-4A41-A82B-B88BC7F6203B.jpeg

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Touch a magnet to it, if it sticks its a counterfit, simple easy cheap test.

Truth 123
As you likely know by now I trust No-Body but My 'Late' Mother.

If you got the funds & the Patience to do a return if you have to ,go for it ...I would not tho.

Unless I could handle loosing the $.

As for the Magnet test , a funny thing is at my Coin Shop they can take a 'Strong' magnet , put a Morgan Dollar on the Glass top then put the magnet on the Glass underneath the Silver Dollar ; slide it around & it will move the Dollar.???

Maybe Something in the Glass or maybe a .small, percentage of Nickel in the Coin. IDK

Also it seem's Stainless , Gold & Old Silver make for a strange combo.

GL on your decision.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

zsw2679

Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum here but i thought I'd give it a shot and see if I could get any info on these silver belts. They are antiques but that's about as much as I know. Anything is greatly accepted and appreciated.
Thanks,
Zac 20180121_183130.jpg 1516584022061.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You dug that 1829 Reales ?
If So congratz as I missed that Find . A G.I.S. Lister in my book.

I found it in a sidewalk strip a year before I joined TNet. 9” down a black as the ace of spades. I didn’t even know what it was till I got home and had to clean the heck out of it. I found it only a couple months of detecting. Best feeling in the world Davers.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it in a sidewalk strip a year before I joined TNet. 9” down a black as the ace of spades. I didn’t even know what it was till I got home and had to clean the heck out of it. I found it only a couple months of detecting. Best feeling in the world Davers.

Ahhhh.
Now I see why your so addicted to the hobby . lol

Super Find Man!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum here but i thought I'd give it a shot and see if I could get any info on these silver belts. They are antiques but that's about as much as I know. Anything is greatly accepted and appreciated.
Thanks,
Zac View attachment 1539747 View attachment 1539749

Yo Zsw2679.
Welcome to the Site.

Post your Belts on the What is it Forum ,they will get lot's of views / opinions there.

They remind me of something a Belly Dancer would wear ,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread