What are these???

zsw2679

Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody, just wanted to see if maybe anyone had some kind of information on these antique silver belts. I'm new here so any advice or info is greatly accepted and appreciated.
Thanks,
Zac 1516584022061.jpg 20180121_183130.jpg

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They aren't silver. They are commonly tin or nickel silver.
The ones you have pictured appear to be nickel silver.
Nickel silver (sometimes called German silver) is a brass made of copper, nickel and zinc. Nickel silver contains no silver.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
I took a gander at listing #1, after listing composition as silver, and using the word in its title, along with its weight,
here's the first line of description: 'Antique Tribal Belt from Rajasthan made with German and other silver '
yet it sold for 250 usd, I hope the buyer is pleased with it.
read the book before you buy the coin :headbang:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. Nice belts.

Don't worry, just because something that looks like silver isn't, does not mean it doesn't still have value. These belts are collectible and have value as already shown. I do not believe that $250 sale was a "one off.".

Here are my thoughts on them...They more than likely date to the early 1900's, within the first couple decades. They can best be described as "silvered" articulated tribal belts, made in India. The plates look to be decorated with peacock, horses and floral motifs. The central medallions on all 3 represent Mount Meru, the mythical mountain, central to the world in Hindu mythology.
This particular (identical) one sold for $1500 in 2013 on ebay. That is a one off and the description partly false as it says sterling silver and made in the 1700's. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/middle-eastern-antique-silver-belt-473294943

middle-eastern-antique-silver-belt_1_03aae163fd5069a58bc1ef061b1d7588.jpg

I think these belts are worth $200-$300 each. Though it may take a while to sell them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread