What do you think of this guys? It has worth?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't writing about metals other than gold. Gold does not tarnish.

The bar presented by the original poster is marked 9999 AU yet it displays tarnish. Therefore it is not 9999 gold no matter what is cast on it's surface. It is quite simply a fake.

The only logical conclusion was stated in my reply:

If you would like to discuss the toning on your brother's half eagle that might make an interesting and instructive thread. I encourage you to start that thread if you wish. Heck I might even comment on that subject if I felt I had something to share. :thumbsup:

In the meantime the pictures of "gold" bars the original poster put up clearly are not what they pretend to be. I answered the original poster's two questions based on the information provided by that poster. I even provided an example of how one might determine the value of the pictured novelty items.

Yes sir!

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Refresher, any update ?

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold can... will... and DOES discolor...

What seems to be the problem with understanding this ?

Did the few posted pics not convince anyone ?

Hmmm.

Think what ya like.

Fact is fact.

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
Come on people...the guy is obviously trolling.
Who would mistake gold bars for stones?
They are marked “gold”. Do you think they have any value?
What kind of question is that?

Guy can figure out how to post to treasurenet, but can’t google the word “gold”?

Then he’s keeping it a secret by not posting to social media...
Couple days too late.

Yep he’s trolling and he hooked AARC, hook line and sinker[emoji23]. Way too many posts for an obvious fake. Pure gold will never tarnish like the posters pics!!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I treat all Tnet people them same when it comes to asking a legitimate question.... and I am interested in the items posted...
Deduction comes from testing... does it not ?

To come out and "discount" a persons find here is against Tnet rules... and no other way to get to the bottom of something of interest.

I asked in my first post if it were a joke and the response was no.

I took each step necessary to complete the puzzle as best I could... regardless.

When YOU post an item for solving / help... Shall I avoid it as well ?

you may miss my posts then.

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Items shown in post#1{ maybe Nazi war loot},French , and from the Napolion peroid. I believe its possible the designers mark/intials or name is engraved somewhere on these bars.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hmmm.

Think what ya like.

Fact is fact.

Gold Facts:

The element Gold does not oxidize, discolor or stain under natural environmental conditions.

Gold can be dissolved in Aqua Regia (a mixture of hydrochloric acid, and concentrated nitric acid, in a 3:1 ratio). While Aqua Regia dissolves gold exposure to Aqua Regia does not discolor gold. Gold does dissolve very slowly with halogens but halogens will not discolor the undissolved gold.

If the gold is alloyed with other metals like copper, iron or pgms the other metal can stain or oxidize but the gold content will not oxidize, stain or discolor.

Eventually, if exposed to the elements for long enough gold alloys will lose all the metals except gold to oxidation. This is called supergene enrichment, a common and well known phenomenon to gold miners. The richest natural gold deposits on earth are due to the simple fact that gold does not react with, nor is it eroded by most acids, any bases or water.

In conclusion the element gold is one of the least reactive elements. Much less reactive than any other metallic element except Platinum. The reasons for this are about relativistic effects within the gold atom and are beyond the scope of this forum. Suffice it to say the only natural oxidation of metallic gold results in the dissolution of the metallic gold mass (state change) but does not result in color changes to the metallic gold.

That's why pure gold masses never discolor or react with air or water. 999 fine gold will never develop gold oxide or any other discoloration or stain.

When you see discoloration or staining of "gold" it is always the case that the impurities in the gold are reacting. Pure gold does not tarnish or discolor.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hmmm.

Think what ya like.

Fact is fact.

Common man explanation:
That’s because there is a generally accepted difference between “gold” and “refined gold”.
Sure scientifically speaking, (AU) gold is gold and does not visibly oxidize. Arguing that is a waste of breath.

Then there are gold nuggets, bars, and coins of varying purity, that 99.999% of people call “gold”.
Those can but don’t always oxidize or exhibit staining.

Is the validity of the orginal message really worth debating??

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Common man explanation:
That’s because there is a generally accepted difference between “gold” and “refined gold”.
Sure scientifically speaking, gold is gold and does not visibly oxidize. Arguing that is a waste of breath.

Then there are gold nuggets, bars, and coins of varying purity, that 99.999% of people call “gold”.
Those can but don’t always oxidize or exhibit staining.

Is the validity of the orginal message really worth debating??

The vast majority of gold bullion bars are better than 99% pure. At least 16% of the mined gold in the world exists in 99 or better purity gold bars. The international purity standard for gold bars is a minimum of 99.5% purity. At least one of the "gold" bars presented in the original post is marked 9999 pure. Gold that is better than 99% pure does not stain or discolor. Discoloration on 9999 fine gold bars is positive proof that the gold is not 9999 pure.

The subject is not coins, dore bars or gold jewelry. The subject is the "gold" bars presented in the original post. If we were discussing alloyed gold products it is sometimes true that the alloy metals can stain, oxidize or discolor. Gold colored cats smell when they have been dead for a week. This thread isn't about dead cats, dore bars, coins or jewelry.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I treat all Tnet people them same when it comes to asking a legitimate question.... and I am interested in the items posted...
Deduction comes from testing... does it not ?

To come out and "discount" a persons find here is against Tnet rules... and no other way to get to the bottom of something of interest.

I asked in my first post if it were a joke and the response was no.

I took each step necessary to complete the puzzle as best I could... regardless.

When YOU post an item for solving / help... Shall I avoid it as well ?

you may miss my posts then.

It's not against the rules to discount someones find if they are asking if they are real or what the value is. Just sayin!

I agree that gold will tarnish...It will turn brown or black. I've seen it with my own eyes at around 16k and below. I can't say that I've ever seen 23k to 24k tarnish like that. I feel that there would at least be some shiny area glittering shiny gold, even if half the bar was against another metal. That's just my guess based on what I've seen in the past and I'm not even close to being an expert. I love gold!!! But with my limited experience I'd run from those bars as fast as I could!!!

I've learned when looking at this kind of stuff "assume fake" until proven real. I've gotten into trouble many times doing it the opposite way.

My uneducated guess is that they are not gold based on what we see in the pictures and what the op has provided so far.

Anyhow, all of that post wasn't directed to you AARC I kind of rambled it all together. :laughing7:

Added....Oh crap...I just realized there was a whole other page to the thread after I posted this....Clay Diggins explains it much better in the posts above.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said pure gold does not tarnish. The OP showed ingots stamped .9999. That would not tarnish. You showed .871 and .891 ingots, the alloy unknown, and a gold coin with rusty metal stuck to it, note the gold showing is not tarnished, a rough ingot with unknown alloy, a pile of gold coins that sat in the presence of rusting iron, which no doubt would rub off with your finger, and your last pic, a wad of silver coins, which we're not talking about. The alloys in impure gold will tarnish. Also, if one is pouring ingots, tell me how you would remove those shown by OP from a crucible. They would have had to be poured in a one time mold, the mold then destroyed to remove them. Not an expert here, but I looked at hundreds of images of ingots, and I didn't see any cast with raised doo-dad decorations, and none with the "patina" that you speak of. IMHO. Emphasis on the H.

Correct... PURE gold does not tarnish.

But these bars,,, CRUDE BARS... IF REAL... heh... might be some incorrectly smelted bar with impurities causing this effect... WAS my thinking.

But the more time that has elapsed from OP to post etc...
I am leaning towards the now seemingly obvious... that the OP may be toying with Tnet.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few more pics...

aaaaaaaaaaaa.JPG aaaaaaaaaaaaa.JPG aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.JPG aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg aaaaaaaaaaaaaf.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But this picture was one I was looking for...

Simon found it for me.

bar-cu.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like some big fat fake gold bars that look like some cool find to get the Tnet juices flowing though...

***ARC throws the fake OP a bone and says "good boy... well done" ***

So its safe to say... This posting... got ALL of us involved.

:P

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I being a complete novice found something like that at a relatives house I would have been hush about it until I knew what it was....self investigate. I would never put it out for strangers to comment or advise me on it.....but then again that's just me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions