1879 Moody’s Sermons Subscription Sales Book (blad)

KFD

Apr 23, 2018
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi -

I recently moved and while doing so started going through boxes I hadn’t opened in a long time. One box contained some old books I bought 25 years ago. Among them was this one which after searching the Internet I discovered was a “blad” or “dummie” book used to sell the actual book. I emailed a rare book buyer and he replied asking what I wanted for it. I replied 50% of whatever it’s worth and he replied “I’ll pass.”

So now I’m really wondering what it’s worth. Lol I can’t find a thing except that the Antiquarian Book Society or something close to that holds about 750 of these but they don’t list them. I also contacted an auction house online yesterday and they replied that they don’t have enough historical sales data to accurately price it.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to find a ballpark value? Did I answer the book buyer’s question incorrectly?

Coincidentally I’m taking my nephew treasure hunting this weekend. I haven’t been treasure hunting before but it’s what he wanted to do. So I have a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 ready to go and we are going to hit the low areas around here to see what we find. About 8 years ago the entire area flooded so I’m hoping displacement maybe dislodged what was buried in the marsh.

If not we’ll try under bleachers at the ball park & soccer fields. ;-}

Ken

8180489E-4D6E-48C0-813B-21A403984081.jpeg

F85060E4-D9B9-4601-9BBB-5D1D1F5ADA4D.jpeg

C3EA81AF-B0EB-4AF5-A3E6-1921C9594DF8.jpeg

07C08011-648B-4185-A3F2-9ADBA1D697B0.jpeg

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Ken,
About three years ago my gf saw that book at a garage sale with a $3.00 price on it. She came home and told me about it and I was curious so I went to go see it. When I got there it was sold and I asked them what they sold it for and they told me $1.50 I don't know if that's a good valuation on it but that's what they sold it for. What were you thinking it might be worth?
Fred

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread