Danish cast iron cannon from 1631

mikkis

Aug 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

i have Danish cast iron cannon from 1631 (Christian IV). How much this is worth?

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Regards,

Mikkis

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mikkis

Aug 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
What is the backstory of this gun? Was it recovered on land or in the sea? When?
What is the diameter of the bore? What is the gun's lenght?
"Dirige Mevm"[Jehovah] Do Lead Me (motto of Christian IV of Denmark)
Source for motto translation: https://www.buei.bm/wp-content/uplo...arkings and Decoration On Artillery Vol 1.pdf
Don.......

Hi Mackaydon,

thank you for sharing that file. I can confirm that there is marking "Dirige Mevm" (it's bit unclear on picture).

Unfortunately i don't know from where and when this gun was originally recovered. I guess it's not recovered from the sea as it has only very minor rust on it. Length of the gun in around 90cm and diameter of bore is around 10cm. I am not able to measure it at the moment as it is located elsewhere.

What do you think about originality of it? Can it be really from 1641 and be in this good shape? If it's real deal it might be used in the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648).

I am excited to hear more about it if you know something more.

Thank you for your effort!

OP
OP
M

mikkis

Aug 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
What is the backstory of this gun? Was it recovered on land or in the sea? When?
What is the diameter of the bore? What is the gun's lenght?
"Dirige Mevm"[Jehovah] Do Lead Me (motto of Christian IV of Denmark)
Source for motto translation: https://www.buei.bm/wp-content/uplo...arkings and Decoration On Artillery Vol 1.pdf
Don.......

Hi Mackaydon,

Thank you for that link. I can confirm that gun have marking "Dirige Mevm" (its bit unclear on picture).

Unfortunately i dont know origin of this gun and from where and when it was recovered. Lenght of the gun is around 90cm and diameter of a bore is around 10cm. I cannot re measure these again as gun is located elsewhere. I think that the gun is not recovered from the sea as it haves only minor rust on it.

What is your opinion; can this be real deal as it is in very good shape? If it's really from 1631, it might be used in the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648) and then it's real nice piece of history.

Do you know more about these? How can i know if it's real or not?

Thank you very much for your help!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a modern reproduction to me, and I don't see a touch hole where one should be.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im certainly no expert, but those Prominent Cast Lines seem suspect to me right off..

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've seen a lot of early cannons but I've never seen one from any era that was finished so poorly, that really does stand out. Being it's just a yard long yet has a 4 inch bore I'm thinking it's more of a model or a signal cannon. I would expect a 4 inch bore military cannon to have a barrel at least twice as long. I'm surprised your little table can hold the weight of a cannon.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another tell besides the unfinished casting lines and lack of a touch hole. This piece has center trunions, that is they are exactly in the center of the tube. This style of cannon wasn't really in use until around the early 1800s. Early cannons had their trunions on the lower half of the tube.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'd like to have it though to keep aimed at my neighbor. :laughing7:

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rust looks fresh to me, also.
Even as a repro it has value, especially since it is small and maybe light enough to ship.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread