vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard silvercoinz!
metal_detector.gif
2nd - Many members are hesitant to hit blind links - so - here are your pictures.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately the first 3 coins are obvious low quality Chinese fakes and completely worthless. The last coin, the "1780" Maria Theresa Thaler actually looks OK, but several hundred million were minted by many different mints through the 19th and 20th century bearing the 1780 date for use as trade coinage (they were the only ones really trusted for some reason), and they are still being made to this day. Being associated with the fakes is problematic though, and since the Chinese fake the Thalers too it needs to be carefully scrutinized.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not worth anything because they aren't real.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Mississippi.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like the others, I have a bad feeling about the authenticity of the coins.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't look real hard at the pics. A sign that one or two of those have a real high chance of being fake. The bust is worn more than the stars or rim. That is usually a strong indicator or to look a little deeper.

The walking half may be ok, but I personally can't tell just by looking at the pic. it looks a little "soft" to me, but I can't really tell.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't look real hard at the pics. A sign that one or two of those have a real high chance of being fake. The bust is worn more than the stars or rim. That is usually a strong indicator or to look a little deeper.

The walking half may be ok, but I personally can't tell just by looking at the pic. it looks a little "soft" to me, but I can't really tell.

Sorry Nitric but it is 1906 American Silver Eagle which was never minted, so it is a fake as well. I agree that all are fakes with possibly the exception of the Maria Theresa Thaler but given that the others are fakes, then it becomes highly suspect.

Sorry silvercoinz for the bad news but either your grandfather did not know they were fakes or did know and gave them to you to educate you to counterfeits. When getting into the coin collecting hobby, it is best to get an early start on knowing how to spot fakes (counterfeits), so you can hopefully avoid losing a lot of money on coin purchases. Anyways, welcome to the Treasure Net forums!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread