Mill Stone

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walked the length of his property down and back up that creek looking for the mate before asking him about getting that one... No such luck.

No,no that will never do. Get yourself 4' of 1/4 inch piano wire or something like that and start probing downward into the bank. Use a mallet if you need too. Like I said it is probably within ten feet or so of the first and it may be exactly underneath the first. That's how they started out, one on top of the other, and it would take one hell of a push to move one of them anywhere. I'd start probing upstream and downstream after looking under the first found.

Another possibility is that the second stone slid down the bank into the creek. But even then it could not have gone far. Good luck.

ETA, I looked at your photo again and it looks like you are on a steep bank. Might want to look straight uphill from the one found too.

Last edited:

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is our family granite millstone which originated in Vermont and was brought to upstate New York by wagon in 1830's. Our estimate is 800 pounds. Value? I agree with GaRebel1861 - $500 to $1000. Now....in a retail landscape place..... in the fancy suburbs? Double that!
millstone.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions