Mill Stone

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this mill stone in a creek bank recently, and I think it'spink granite. But since I couldn't just pick it up and toss it in the truck, I told the property owner what it was and asked if I could ge it, but he decided he wanted to keep it. For me it's a bucket list find so I'm tempted to go back and offer a little bit of cash to see if he will let it go. I just don't want to pay too much.

Any idea what it might be worth?

20181009_120918.jpg

20181009_121036.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't really say.I came across a millstone where a mill was in the last quarter of the 1600s.Probably weighed a good 400 pounds if not more.cant get a truck or my jeep up there so there it stays :BangHead:

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya this one would definitely take some work and a winch (which I have) to recover, but I'm only willing to do it if I can take it home.
It just kills me knowing it's just going to sit there.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best of luck to you on the millstone. That would be a great find for sure. It would make a great accent piece in your yard and then others could enjoy it instead of it sitting in a creekbed where it has remained for the last 100 years or so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it both halves?

Offer to dig em both out, you keep one and place the other half where ever he wants it.

Only the one stone. The other one is probably buried close by, but where I do not know.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw an episode of American pickers, they were helping with a decoration job on some movie stars house ( William Shatner I think) and they went to see a guy who collected them, approached him about buying one and I think they spent $3000 on one. However , like everything else people collect, there are different types, styles, sizes etc that drives price and desirability. Maybe you can google the episode???

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I found one at an old mill site didn't know what it was cool

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Just throw it in your diggers bag, only ones I’ve seen here in New England probably weigh more than a ton. Pulling one of those things out of the woods would be a weekend adventure for 4 or 5 big guys. I have the old granite posts from the 1700’s half buried in my back yard and can’t even budge them and they only weigh 500 pounds or so, but people will pay for old cut stone. I used to work at a country club and they tore down an old bard on the property and ended up with 20 or 25 large pieces of cut stone and some dude came down from New Hampshire, cash in hand and hauled them away. I can’t recall exactly how much money it was, but it was over $3000. I think I’ll be digging mine out this coming summer with some help from my son and his buddies from the football team. Good luck!!!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Icewing, what do you think that one weighs? Looks about maybe 800 to 1000 lbs, that should pop right out with a winch

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
That One Has To Be Rescued! Way too nice to be left where it is!

Kace

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one out of the creek that was broke using borrowed hood off a wrecked vehicle that was in the junk yard. The latch part was perfect to hook the wench cable to and worked as a sled. A perfect one down here goes for $500 to $1,000. Good luck

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Agree with Kace. You got to try and work out a deal with the owner. Good luck.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I was just trying to find out what you guys thought it was worth so I didn't offer too much.
I'm guessing it to be in the range of 1,000 pounds, but I have a 12,000 pound wench, heavy duty straps, and a snatchblock to help me get it off the ground so I can back a trailer under it.

I just need to convince the farmer to let me get it out of there.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing7:I’d love to help, just to get out of the f****** cold up here.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ask if you can look for the other half, if you find it he may sell it. Otherwise, ask him what price he would sell the stone. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask if you can look for the other half, if you find it he may sell it. Otherwise, ask him what price he would sell the stone. :icon_thumleft:

I walked the length of his property down and back up that creek looking for the mate before asking him about getting that one... No such luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread