Shotshell box and Shotshell shells collectors

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a couple, five, old boxes of shotshells under my stairs. Look to have been there since about WWII. One of them is real nice- Remington UMC Nitro Game Loads, Grouse Load- with a nice picture of a grouse on the two piece box. Unfortunately it is open, but full with shells. Paper shells roll crimped with "Grouse Load 7ch" stamped on the overshot card. Two of the boxes are Winchester, one is still factory sealed but with plaster splattered on it.

Anybody know where Shotshell box collectors might gather? I would like more information on the age and history as well as the value of the shells and box. I'm trying to decide if I want to sell or maybe start collecting Shotshell boxes myself. Thanks.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what ive read. UMC Nitro was one of the very first line of Smokeless Powder Shotshells. The Earlier UMC-Remington New Club were Black Powder (Paper) Shells.

Rem-UMC.jpg
s-l400.jpg
vintage-remington-u-m-c-new-club-12-ga-shotgun-shell-box-old-antique.jpeg
REM-UMC_New_Club_black_powder_yellow_20_gauge-6.jpg

This headstamp link will be helpful as well.
https://web.archive.org/web/20170504053248/http://www.headstamps.x10.mx/database.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, thanks for the link. Looks like all the Nitro Club line got discontinued in 1938.

Glad I didn't just shoot them.

I do wonder if they work or not. I bet they do, but they might not. :tongue3:

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They may be worth something to a collector.
how bout posting some pics..
The 3 casings I posted above I recently dug on my property.
Cant wait to see what else is out there.

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Condition is important, some collectors just collect single shells others collect just boxes. You can sell the empty boxes on ebay but not the shells. The loaded shells you can sell on other gun auctions sites but you need to send them by UPS or Fedex ground as hazmat even if it's one shell. The United States postal service doesn't ship loaded ammo and have stiff fines. You might be better off selling them at a gun/collector show.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a similar box on an auction site.-

https://www.wardscollectibles.com/viewitem.php?item=1451

Looks very collectible as Remington had a line of shells which included rabbit, duck, snipe, duck, ect, ect, with the game picture. Head stamp on my shells reads "No. 12". Two of my boxes are the Rem. Nitro Club heavy duck(not to be confused with plain old "duck"), but the box labels are in poor shape, or partially missing.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Your best bet is to try to find some Dealers/Collectors at some big Gun Shows and see if they are interested and are willing to pay a fair price for them. Otherwise, there are quite a few Collector sites online for folks that want to sell or buy collectible ammo and especially the same in the original boxes. I found several online when when I had some collectible shot shells that I want to sell and I was able to meet up with one collector at a local Gun Show and sell them to him. I never bookmarked the link but you should be able to find plenty online. Another possibility is Gunbroker where I have purchased quite a few boxes of old shot shells to shoot in my' Winchester Model 370 16 Gauge Shotgun.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what ive read. UMC Nitro was one of the very first line of Smokeless Powder Shotshells. The Earlier UMC-Remington New Club were Black Powder (Paper) Shells.

View attachment 1662317
View attachment 1662318
View attachment 1662320
View attachment 1662321

This headstamp link will be helpful as well.
https://web.archive.org/web/20170504053248/http://www.headstamps.x10.mx/database.html

buck8point
Thanks for the link!
So often, that's all you'll find on some hunts. But, you end up getting an idea how old the site is. I like shot shell headstamps, as they remind me of pheasant hunts with my dad in South Dakota, as a young lad....

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That could be the stairway to cash.:laughing7: nice discovery.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could be the stairway to cash.:laughing7: nice discovery.

This house was built in the 1940's and the kook that owned it before had stuff stashed. This is the guy that dug out a basement under the crawl space and sealed off the old cistern with field stone and mortar. I found a couple 100 year old hand saws tucked into the joist braces in the basement. These shells were under the stairs behind a closet. If I didn't have to get under the stairs to fix a tread I never would have known they were there.

There has got to be a big bag of money around here some place.:tongue3:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
This house was built in the 1940's and the kook that owned it before had stuff stashed. This is the guy that dug out a basement under the crawl space and sealed off the old cistern with field stone and mortar. I found a couple 100 year old hand saws tucked into the joist braces in the basement. These shells were under the stairs behind a closet. If I didn't have to get under the stairs to fix a tread I never would have known they were there.

There has got to be a big bag of money around here some place.:tongue3:

Well, I would start with tearing into the old cistern. Folks have been known to hide valuables inside and in the walls of cisterns and wells.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love shot boxes and collect shells and bullets. What a great find. I agree. tear into the cistern and methodically search the whole house stick by stick. When my friends grandmother passed I assisted in emptying the house and found a hidden tip behind a builtin desk drawer. Had a very nice coin collection in it. (I did not get to keep it) search away and md the basement at least IMG_1930.JPG IMG_1929.JPG IMG_1931.JPG

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I would start with tearing into the old cistern. Folks have been known to hide valuables inside and in the walls of cisterns and wells.

Uh-oh, I don't think mom will let me tear up the cistern. We just put a new porch on the front room. Cistern is holding up the front room.

I'll keep it in mind though- just in case.:icon_thumright:

Hey Eyemustdigtreasure, here is a nice head stamp site-

Shotgun

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh-oh, I don't think mom will let me tear up the cistern. We just put a new porch on the front room. Cistern is holding up the front room.

I'll keep it in mind though- just in case.:icon_thumright:

Hey Eyemustdigtreasure, here is a nice head stamp site-

Shotgun
Good thing you don't have earthquakes like we do in California. Porch would be in the cistern

Lunch Bag

Dec 23, 2018
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you buck8point!

I just started detecting and found a UMC No 12 New Club yesterday.

Now I know a little more.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Put them on gunbroker.com, I’ve sold some very old 300 savage boxes there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread