Strange 1936 Wheatie?

Crazybladez

Dec 1, 2018
Lakeside, Az
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found by someone in a metal detecting group I am in. We are all puzzled. Better pics on the way. FB_IMG_1545511810911.jpg FB_IMG_1545511816467.jpg

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. Never seen anything like it before but I’m sure someone will have an answer for you real soon. Congrats

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Forget the gumball machine. Nice and interesting find. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Crazybladez

Crazybladez

Dec 1, 2018
Lakeside, Az
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am hoping someone can shed some light on this for him. I am hoping he will join the site as well.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like someone took a Copper Electrical Washer, made a groove on the inside to accommodate the rim of the Wheat Cent, placed the Wheat Cent in the hole, then likely roll pressed the Copper Washer so that the metal would fold over the rim of the Wheat Cent to hold it in place. They might have made it as a Lucky Coin piece to carry around or may have made some to sell.

OP
OP
Crazybladez

Crazybladez

Dec 1, 2018
Lakeside, Az
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kind of what I am thinking too but ya never know.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a lucky coin holder of some sort. :dontknow:

Just thinking, could be a "slug" to replace a quarter in a vending machine.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure it's worth a whole lot and maybe it was created out of the idea and mystique of the lucky penny? Looking back on that myth and doing a little research I recall a time when I sported a pair of penny loafers. I don't recall I was doing it for any kind of luck, but I think it did come to my attention that's why you wanted to wear those shoes. I only wanted them, because that's what was hip at the time. https://www.retailmenot.com/blog/how-to-celebrate-lucky-penny-day.html

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The year 1936 simply may have meant something to someone. I've seen dimes placed in bezel's to be worn on a chain, the dates on the dimes having some importance, be it a birth, anniversary or something. I do not see anything on the rim there to attach to anything, so as other fella's have said, a "lucky" penny? The year may or may not have any special meaning. A very neat find though, it makes it a better find than "just" a 36 wheat.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntsman is correct Someone added a copper bezel In your second photo the metal alloys are clearly different

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread