1827 Georgia land grant signed by Daniel Newnan

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The signatures listed on the land grant is: Daniel Newnan, Thomas Abercromby (the person who was receiving the land), and I believe the person who surveyed the land Carlton Hilbourn

Daniel Newnan appears to be a rather notable person from my google search. I picked this up at reputable antique store for 10-20$
I did find Thomas Abercromby listed in a 1821 land lottery. Also the document mentions in bolld print " ....en Hundred and Twenty Seven and of the fiftieth year of American Independance"
Not sure if its visible in the picture, but also in hand writing it says 1827 on that same page.

Im hoping between the signature(s) and the 50th year anniversary part it was well worth the purchase.

lg3.jpg lg2.jpg lg1.jpg

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw one sell from Lee County Georgia that had a leather seal with the state seal pressed into. It also had a piece of cloth that attached the seal to the document. It sold for $100.00.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unfortunately with more than 6 million land grants issued there isn't much value in any particular grant unless it has some display value, the grantee is well known, or a family member was granted the patent.

Some of the Georgia State land grants have a slight additional value due to some academic or historical interest in what were two of the biggest land scams of all time.

Look into the Yazoo land scam involving five corrupt Georgia Governors and the Georgia Legislature in the mid 1790's. That scam lead, in 1810, to one of the most famous and influential Supreme Court decisions Fletcher v Peck.

At the same time, and involving some of the same politicians, was the Pine Barrens scam in which more than three times the land mass of Georgia was sold in bogus overlapping land grants.

Fascinating stuff for an historian but not something that generally has a large monetary value.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Condition is an issue on that one. Friend of mine, who was know to give cash to those in need in the small of town Buena Vista Colorado if they brought him things of interest to him, such as antiques and other things. He showed me a land grant he acquired from what he said was a down on his luck crack addict that had it in his family for years. It was signed by President Franklin Pierce. It was a large document and preprinted, but filled in with the pertinent information left blank and written in some of the most beautiful calligraphy I ever saw. He did his research and even as wonderful as it was it looked as if comparable others wouldn't sell anymore than $250.00 to maybe $400.00. His was framed and in excellent condition. Still I think your item is pretty cool and the fact that it's still around to look at it, being as old as it is makes it a wonderful thing.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread