!766 No Stamp Act button

RonNH

Greenie
Dec 1, 2013
I was lucky enough to find a No Stamp Act button this past season. When I popped it out, it was covered in a black crust so I soaked it for a couple of weeks in mineral oil and started picking at it with a softened toothpick. The crud was coming off pretty good but when I saw the crack on the right side, I stopped cleaning it.

I tried sending the image to an auction house, they couldn't put a price on it and even were doubting it was authentic. I thought I would try the forum and see if I could get any leads on the value and maybe some leads on where I could get it refurbished or at least stabilized.

Thanks for any help and I couldn't help but notice on the banner that another member has found the same button, congrats to him!

Attachments

• IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 158
  • No Stamp Act Button - shank.jpg
    No Stamp Act Button - shank.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 87
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find! :notworthy:

I hope that button is worth 9K...:occasion14:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find! The value is hard to tell for a unique find like that. I asked an auction house about mine, and they said that it is hard to tell what it would go for. They said they would set an estimate of $6000 if it were to be sold, though as you may know, estimates mean nothing in the auction world. The one that sold for $9000 had an estimate of $5000 according to Heritage Auctions. Condition is big too, when I did research about mine, I found some in much worse condition that sold in the $4000-$5000 range, but those had serious problems. Yours looks to be in pretty good shape, other than that crack. Almost every single one I found sold, including the $9000 one, had some cracks on it. Honestly, I still have no clue what mine is worth, but don't care much right now as I don't intend on selling it. I would guess that ours are worth as much as someone would pay at an auction. Also, in terms of authenticity, I am 100% sure your is the real deal. I just hope you didn't find it at my site lol:laughing7:!

DSC_0280 (2).JPG

Here's one that sold a few years ago, I think it reached around $3000 in auction, though I will need to confirm. Yours is clearly a million times nicer than it.
lf.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RonNH

Greenie
Dec 1, 2013
Great find! The value is hard to tell for a unique find like that. I asked an auction house about mine, and they said that it is hard to tell what it would go for. They said they would set an estimate of $6000 if it were to be sold, though as you may know, estimates mean nothing in the auction world. The one that sold for $9000 had an estimate of $5000 according to Heritage Auctions. Condition is big too, when I did research about mine, I found some in much worse condition that sold in the $4000-$5000 range, but those had serious problems. Yours looks to be in pretty good shape, other than that crack. Almost every single one I found sold, including the $9000 one, had some cracks on it. Honestly, I still have no clue what mine is worth, but don't care much right now as I don't intend on selling it. I would guess that ours are worth as much as someone would pay at an auction. Also, in terms of authenticity, I am 100% sure your is the real deal. I just hope you didn't find it at my site lol:laughing7:!

View attachment 1673233

Here's one that sold a few years ago, I think it reached around $3000 in auction, though I will need to confirm. Yours is clearly a million times nicer than it.
View attachment 1673238

Thanks Coinman. Which auction site were you dealing with?

OP
OP
R

RonNH

Greenie
Dec 1, 2013
I guess I should have read the fine print on the bottom of the button - Heritage Auctions

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Value depends on what day it is auctioned, and who wants one that day. I would not clean it or preserve it or do anything else to it. You can ruin it very quickly if you do.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm curious which auction house said that it was possibly not authentic (yours is 100% genuine) and wouldn't give you a simple auction estimate? I know that heritage has a free item appraisal, and will normally give you a fairly straight forward estimate. I recommend asking another auction house in hopes of getting a clearer answer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RonNH

Greenie
Dec 1, 2013
I'm curious which auction house said that it was possibly not authentic (yours is 100% genuine) and wouldn't give you a simple auction estimate? I know that heritage has a free item appraisal, and will normally give you a fairly straight forward estimate. I recommend asking another auction house in hopes of getting a clearer answer.

It was Heritage Auctions that I sent the image to, they referred me to someone with the handle of Jasper, I guess it's one of their appraisers. His team said it was in poor condition and doubted it was authentic, I kind of stopped my searching there due to family things taking up most of my time. I have also contacted an appraiser who has a storefront near me and in a week, he hasn't gotten back to me, I'm assuming he is probably swamped with work but maybe he doesn't know enough about the button to put a starting price on it.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It was Heritage Auctions that I sent the image to, they referred me to someone with the handle of Jasper, I guess it's one of their appraisers. His team said it was in poor condition and doubted it was authentic, I kind of stopped my searching there due to family things taking up most of my time. I have also contacted an appraiser who has a storefront near me and in a week, he hasn't gotten back to me, I'm assuming he is probably swamped with work but maybe he doesn't know enough about the button to put a starting price on it.

Well, it sounds as if as an Appraiser, Jasper is not worth his weight in the sedimentary/metamorphic rock he was named after!:dontknow::laughing7::tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions