Cabuchon gem stone cats eye

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Beware believing in things you have no personal knowledge of. More on that theme after a bit of education.

Apatite is way to soft to be worn in a ring. Maximum 5 on Mohs scale. There are chatoyant versions but they don't much resemble what you found although sometimes the color of the "eye" can be similar to what you show.

Alexandrite is trichroic Chrysoberyl and very hard at 8.5 on Mohs scale. Alexanderite displays at least two colors when cut in a cabachon like yours - green and purple with a brilliant white eye. Chatoyant (catseye) Alexandrite stones are very rare and look nothing like the pictures you have shown.

Catseye Chrysoberyl is sometimes found in the colors you show. It's a very rare and valuable stone rarely found in the size or shape you show.

Fiber optic glass is a common man made material that is used to make catseye "gems" that sometimes resemble what you show. You piece is probably too old to be made of fiber optic glass.

Tiger Eye is a common quartz material that has been used to make many millions of catseye stones. The colors and action of the "eye" is exactly like what you show in your pictures. The quartz material is hard enough for jewelry and the material is so abundant and easy to cut that it will probably always be found in most old jewelry boxes.

You wrote that the stone you are showing was found in a "cheap metal pendant". Employing Occam's razor and just a tiny bit of common sense it is apparent that the likelihood of your stone being anything but tigers eye or a cheap man made imitation are almost 0%

You wrote:
I have pretty much convinced myself its not tigers eye
This is the point where an unscrupulous or uneducated jeweler makes their bones on an unsuspecting believer.

Here are some chatoyant stones to illustrate the possibilities.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. It does look like a chrysoberyl with its chatoyant or cat's eye effect. Looking forward to hearing what your jeweler says.

Thank you very much for having a look.

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be the pendant was not so cheap. It is plated ... But not tarnished.... Probably some type of white metal plating. Possibly over silver. Defenitly it looks old. And aparently chrystoberyl has been around for 1000s of years in used in this form. And only got popular in 19c. So i think its possible some old gems could be kicking around...i have found several very similar examples... The chances are never 0% i i like your akhams razor reference.

Catseye Chrysoberyl is sometimes found in the colors you show. It's a very rare and valuable stone rarely found in the size or shape you show. (If it walks like a duck and squacks like a duck....) maybe i got a duck lol

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking for days for a tigers eye that can do this....must be a very rare and possibly valuable tigerseye? Or sumtin else i will find out...

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.Clay diggins you said of Tigers eye. " The colors and action of the "eye" is exactly like what you show in your pictures. ".
.....i got to diagree with you,the action is disimilar...
for now anyways... I still Cant find tigers eye like this.
I may try to make a video of my ring ... *

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean like these?

Those do not have a mobile line . the line is static color pattern. The chatoyant effect is very dissimelar if you could observe it. In the two stones. Thos have no milk honey effect. Theres is only one photo for a reason of those stones..

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those do not have a mobile line . the line is static color pattern. The chatoyant effect is very dissimelar if you could observe it. In the two stones. Thos have no milk honey effect. Theres is only one photo for a reason of those stones..

The eye effect on Tiger eye is fully mobile - not static. It's the nature of the stone and why it's called Tiger EYE. If you put a pinlight over your left shoulder pointing at your stone in a dark room your stone will look very similar to the photos I linked to. The reason for that has to do with the best way to photograph a catseye stone to show the effect in a static photograph.

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No no wat no ,baa baaaa

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My stone is essentialy colorless until light falls on it

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In dark . accross 25t feet. Flash light over shoulder...

Attachments

• 20190131_203327.jpg
    20190131_203327.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
  • 20190131_203335.jpg
    20190131_203335.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 65

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe... I believe... that you WANT to believe... That you have something that is other that what it is.

It is ... what it is.

You are grasping at straws at this point.

I am sure that you hare gone "cold crazy" up there in the Great White North... And this may now has become a form of "entertainment" .

:P

:)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO... what you have is not even a stone...

IMO... what you have is in fact... Synthetic tigers eye.

Here is an example of synthetic tigers eye.

View attachment 1676704

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO... what you have is not even a stone...

IMO... what you have is in fact... Synthetic tigers eye.

Here is an example of synthetic tigers eye.

View attachment 1676704

I dont think it would be synthetic.
Would be simulated or imitation.
I have seen the effect in fibre optic glass...
Nothing exactly like mine though...
The glass ones have a visible structure on the side view of the stone... I do notice something similar on my stone. But i do not know if that could be the natural inclusions that make the effect.. On my ston it is hardly visible.. I saw a fake cateye chrysoberyl with the side clearly showing how it was made. I will try to get that photo

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your link didnt work

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did see a patent for a synthetic complicated quartz catseye.
Or it could be radioactive.
Apparently in 1998 or so a bunch of chrysoberl was treated to make the cats eye effect. And this stuff could even be dangerous.

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Color change? Incandescent light vs cfl

Attachments