Tag Heuer watch

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a watch in a thrift store I don't have pictures as I didn't buy it yet if I describe it I was wondering if any one could give me a rough value on it.It looks like this one except it has a green face. 8345bd40235168075a18c0bf24167a8e.jpg If you can find a picture of one I can confirm if it is the same one.The best I can describe the color is like a shiny green.Almost like green chrome.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well crud I was hoping for anyone with knowledge on watches to have some sort of an idea on it.Well I guess I'll pull the trigger and get it and hope it's a worth it.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that the Model you show in the pic is a Professional Series and is likely rated down to 200 meters if diving. If that is the correct Model, then they can run anywhere from a little over $150 or less to $350 or more depending the exact Model Number with average price range of $225 to $275. Without knowing the exact Model Number which you will find on the back, it is really hard to give a price. Also, I believe the green Dial models do fetch a little more because there weren't as many of them produced as other Dial colors and are somewhat more sought after.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Huntsman 53

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be cautious. The more popular the brand name the higher the odds of it being not what it appears to be. Just look at every detail about it. I look first at the band link pins. If they are recessed and not flush to the edge and polished with a mirror finish. That's the first clue to insufficient workmanship imo. I look at the hands and dial and how the chapters are made and if they are nicely precision-made and beautiful in detail. Sadly the best confirmation is inspecting the movement, which requires special effort to get at and something you can't do there at the thrift store all that easily. Also ask the thrift store manager if it was in inspected by a jeweler or someone they know that has the knowledge to confirm it being genuine.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.truefacet.com/guide/how-to-spot-a-fake-tag-heuer-watch/amp/

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd be cautious. The more popular the brand name the higher the odds of it being not what it appears to be. Just look at every detail about it. I look first at the band link pins. If they are recessed and not flush to the edge and polished with a mirror finish. That's the first clue to insufficient workmanship imo. I look at the hands and dial and how the chapters are made and if they are nicely precision-made and beautiful in detail. Sadly the best confirmation is inspecting the movement, which requires special effort to get at and something you can't do there at the thrift store all that easily. Also ask the thrift store manager if it was in inspected by a jeweler or someone they know that has the knowledge to confirm it being genuine.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.truefacet.com/guide/how-to-spot-a-fake-tag-heuer-watch/amp/

Yes, it pays to have a good eye, be knowledgeable of what to look for and go over any quality brand watch with a fine tooth and comb before buying! However, the majority of the Tag Heuer 2000 Professional Series Wristwatches were not extremely high priced and most were not even really high priced when sold new, so most have been less likely to have been counterfeited/faked compared to a Formula 1, an Aquaracer, a Carrera, a Grand Carrera, a Calibre 16, a Monaco or a Titanium Tourbillon. Also, I have often found that if you know or can get the Model Number off the back of the watch and if you do a search for it on the web and cannot find even one example of the watch or every search comes up with a completely different Tag Heuer Watch, then it is likely a fake.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it pays to have a good eye, be knowledgeable of what to look for and go over any quality brand watch with a fine tooth and comb before buying! However, the majority of the Tag Heuer 2000 Professional Series Wristwatches were not extremely high priced and most were not even really high priced when sold new, so most have been less likely to have been counterfeited/faked compared to a Formula 1, an Aquaracer, a Carrera, a Grand Carrera, a Calibre 16, a Monaco or a Titanium Tourbillon. Also, I have often found that if you know or can get the Model Number off the back of the watch and if you do a search for it on the web and cannot find even one example of the watch or every search comes up with a completely different Tag Heuer Watch, then it is likely a fake.
Sure, I do know the uppity Swiss brand name watches have gone the way of offering bargain watches by installing genuine, but inexpensive Swiss quartz movements into outsourced Chinese made cases and bands. So yeah that is most likely a genuine Tag, much like this ESQ I got a couple weeks ago for under 6 bucks. The Devil's in the details with this type of watch and they list them as ESQ by Movado, Whoopi!. I'll put a new battery in this and hopefully get as much as the last one I found that went for $79.00 I think it was. Even if I get less than that, it'll get me a profit I'm sure. I've actually been doing pretty good on these later model ladies mass produced wrist watches as long as it's labeled with the right brand name and a genuine.

Attachments

• IMG_20190213_081003438.jpg
    IMG_20190213_081003438.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20190213_081021587.jpg
    IMG_20190213_081021587.jpg
    963.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20190213_081129642.jpg
    IMG_20190213_081129642.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20190213_081201694.jpg
    IMG_20190213_081201694.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I pulled the trigger and bought it for $8.00,Here was my reasoning in San Jose,Ca and Palo Alto,Ca there are dealers that sell them and the town I bought it in is Los Banos,Ca. and 80% of people living in Los Banos are transplants from San Jose commuting to the bay area for work. The thrift store is a hole in the wall store that just to walk the aisles you almost have to turn sideways, it is packed to the ceiling with stuff.It is owned by a Mexican family and I think all their merchandise is yard sale finds or they have someone over in the bay area buying from yard sales for them because the teenage son told me about every 2 months they get more watches in. I think Tamrock is right with it being in a cheaper Chinese made case and band.Here are pictures of the watch and the battery I replaced. 100_6415.JPG 100_6416.JPG 100_6417.JPG 100_6418.JPG 100_6419.JPG 100_6420.JPG 100_6421.JPG 100_6422.JPG 100_6423.JPG 100_6427.JPG

Attachments

• 100_6425.JPG
    100_6425.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_6426.JPG
    100_6426.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reflections in the crystal are of me taking the pictures through a magnifying glass and I can't get good light as it's overcast and raining.The numbers on the case back are M2742L and I did find one on Ebay for $229.99.https://www.ebay.com/itm/TAG-HEUER-...205174&hash=item4d8c9645ec:g:c3kAAOSwUu5cS6D~Although it is slightly different, which could be because it is newer or older? Even if not real it works and I didn't get soaked by paying too much.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard to say if it is genuine and tamrock is probably more familiar with what to look for in that Model but the red flag I see is that it does not have Tag Heuer stamped into the band clasp/let out. It does look like a 2000 Professional Diver's Model but if it has a Chinese case and Chinese band, then it might just be fake because all of the one's I have seen, were genuine with Tag Heuer cases and bands. It is likely pretty easy for the Chinese to pick up some leftover new old stock Tag Heuer movements cheap that they can throw into a Counterfeit case with a counterfeit band and sell them as genuine Tag Heuer watches.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what I have been thinking also, that was why I wouldn't pay anymore for it.I am going to get it checked out just to be sure.At least it works so if nothing else my wife can wear it.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That is what I have been thinking also, that was why I wouldn't pay anymore for it.I am going to get it checked out just to be sure.At least it works so if nothing else my wife can wear it.

Even of your wife doesn't want to wear it, someone would likely pay $50 for it because it looks like a Tag Heuer watch. It is funny but some counterfeits and especially counterfeits of high end watches, fetch good money. Sometimes real good money!!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out for fakes in this model. They are prevalent Know what you are looking at before you buy it. If ANYTHING looks slightly off or does not function it is a fake

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I pulled the trigger and bought it for $8.00,Here was my reasoning in San Jose,Ca and Palo Alto,Ca there are dealers that sell them and the town I bought it in is Los Banos,Ca. and 80% of people living in Los Banos are transplants from San Jose commuting to the bay area for work. The thrift store is a hole in the wall store that just to walk the aisles you almost have to turn sideways, it is packed to the ceiling with stuff.It is owned by a Mexican family and I think all their merchandise is yard sale finds or they have someone over in the bay area buying from yard sales for them because the teenage son told me about every 2 months they get more watches in. I think Tamrock is right with it being in a cheaper Chinese made case and band.Here are pictures of the watch and the battery I replaced. View attachment 1680496 View attachment 1680497 View attachment 1680498 View attachment 1680499 View attachment 1680500 View attachment 1680501 View attachment 1680502 View attachment 1680503 View attachment 1680504 View attachment 1680507
Now that Im scrolling up Definitely fake

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweeeet hope its authentic

Top Member Reactions