Environmental Damage

Upham

Feb 27, 2019
North Attleboro, MA
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, AT Max & ATX (new)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what is it? I sent a coin to PCGS and they said it was genuine, had very fine detail and wouldn't grade it because it had environmental damage? I didn't clean it as a matter of fact they encapsulated it and it still has dirt on it. So what's the deal? Any graders here that can fill me in?
Thanks
Up

It's a Pinetree
IMG_2176.JPG front 1652.JPG

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
need photos of coin and what it was.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The grading services won't give a straight grade to a coin that is damaged in any way, scratches, harsh cleaning, corrosion, etc. Yours apparently has some corrosion or some environmental damage from being in the ground. Looks like there might be a little damage on the tree side.

OP
OP
Upham

Upham

Feb 27, 2019
North Attleboro, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The grading services won't give a straight grade to a coin that is damaged in any way, scratches, harsh cleaning, corrosion, etc. Yours apparently has some corrosion or some environmental damage from being in the ground. Looks like there might be a little damage on the tree side.

I don't understand that. They only grade perfect coins? Isn't that what grading is for? I've seen Pinetree's that look like they are in worse condition than mine that they graded.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any coin in the ground is considered enviornmentally damaged I hate it also but these collectirs will knock a 1000 dollar coin to nothing if theres even a tiny spec on it lol

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive heard of guys simply cleaning them as best they can with distilled then carrying it in their pocket for like a year to wear off some of the corrosion, then sending it back and getting it graded just fine. thing is that with silver they could never know the difference unless it was cleaned/polished in a uniform way. though thats quite a chance to take carrying around a coin like that lol.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand that. They only grade perfect coins? Isn't that what grading is for? I've seen Pinetree's that look like they are in worse condition than mine that they graded.
No, they don't only grade perfect coins, they grade coins by degree of wear. The coins can be heavily worn but as long as it is just natural wear they get a grade. When there is damage it goes beyond wear so no grade.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your pics show a very nice pine tree shilling with no clipping. A coin that has been in the ground for 300+ years often shows some porosity - which can be just on the surface. Have you looked at the surface with higher magnification? I agree with dipping in distilled water only but not scrubbing it. I like a little dirt in the devices. Personally, I would enjoy the coin and not worry about the grade. You know it is genuine and that is what counts. I would also leave it encapsulated.
Congrats for finding such a bucket-lister!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Upham

Upham

Feb 27, 2019
North Attleboro, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm keeping it to pass down to my family. I think it's awesome American history!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Most detectorists dream of finding a tree coin and you have a very nice example of one of the most important coins in colonial American history. Congrats again!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree thats a treasure in my book

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would imagine that porosity, corrosion, dirt and staining may have been the factors in the reasoning for PCGS not grading the coin. You may have had better results and possibly gotten a Net Grade if you had opted to have the coin conserved via PCGS' Conservation Service then sent over to the Grading Service to have it graded. Consult some knowledgeable Coin Dealers that submit coins quite often and get their opinion. It could be worth it to send it back in for the conservation services and then graded. The certification that it is genuine is already known and will go on the new label. It may be just me but IMHO, PCGS should have contacted you and recommended that you have the coin conserved before certification and any attempt at grading due to the coin's rarity!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread