xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello folks. I recently found this coin that I believe is a counterfeit due to the fact that is has an inner corroded layer with an outer layer that looks like silver (it may be antimony I have no idea). I am well aware of the Seated Liberty Dime collectors site that talks about the counterfeits. Does anybody have a ballpark idea of what this coin might be worth?

The first and second photo are the coin next to two real ones. zoom in on it. The third photo is what it looked like out of the ground.

I'm not looking to sell it I'm just curious as I know sometimes these things can be more valuable than the authentic regular coin. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7174.JPG
    IMG_7174.JPG
    566.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7175.JPG
    IMG_7175.JPG
    691.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7161.JPG
    IMG_7161.JPG
    704 KB · Views: 67

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's really no "book value" for a counterfeit coin even though some people collect them. It's pretty much whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool find though

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about counterfeit coins, but I have seen some coins that went through a fire that looked similar to yours. The weren't corroded on the inside though...interesting. Did it ring up like a regular dime? Nice find BTW.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about counterfeit coins, but I have seen some coins that went through a fire that looked similar to yours. The weren't corroded on the inside though...interesting. Did it ring up like a regular dime? Nice find BTW.

I took it to my metal detecting club and showed it to one of the experts. It's definitely a counterfeit. My first thought was fire too but its definitely a different metal inside suggesting it's not an alloy.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry coinhunter az. I forgot to mention that it rang up like a dime or penny 80/81

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry I forgot to mention that it rang up like a dime / penny 80/81

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions