IMG_20191114_225615.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 187

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
"Mint condition" is not really saying much. Even a fair coin is an MS(2) coin. That said, I feel your coin (if authentic) would rate MS62 at least. Don't suggestion has a lot of merit. I'd follow it.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really, 60 and above is MS. Anything less is considered circulated.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no such thing as anything ms less than 60. Pcgs grading standards state " a mint state coin can range from one that is covered with marks (ms 60) to a flawless example (ms 70).

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shepherdkatie

Greenie
May 8, 2015
Happy Valley Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to pcgs and thought it was closest to ms68 because it had the most detail of her dress and the eagles wings. That made me question the authenticity of it. I inherited it from my 100 year old grandfather and he wouldn't have knowingly kept a fake in his collection. Thanks for the feedback it is much appreciated

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Perhaps it is the lighting. Perhaps it is the holder. Perhaps it is my trifocals. I see signs of wear on some of the high points, both obverse and reverse. Otherwise I agree with l.cutler. First, have it authenticated, because the trade dollar has, for sever decades, been one of the most counterfeited coins. If authentic, and it grades high enough, have it auctioned. If you wish to retain it, you will know if it is authentic, or not.

Time for more coffee.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If genuine it would definitely fall short of ms68, ms68 would be close to perfect and there are definitely scratches and contact marks. As galenrog states it may not even be ms. Authenticity would be the first thing, getting an accurate weight in grams would be a good first step.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I live in a small Third world village in Mexico. A neighbor, now deceased, asked for help pricing some silver dollars left him by his dad. I took the Bugs Bunny magnet my wife had on the refrigerator and every one of them was magnetic. I.e. bogus as a three dollar bill. At that time, I read that China years ago, made many bogus trade dollars. First test: can you pick it up with a refrigerator magnet?

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like trdking I too, noticed the chop marks on the reverse and they don't even look like genuine chop marks. Either way chop marks lessen the value of the coin. Best bet is have it authenticated and then from there you can get a rough idea as to its REAL value.

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Priceless if authentic

And worth considerably less if it has been cleaned. PCGS would know if it had been cleaned.
The obverse sure looks like it was scrubbed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread