F-14A Tomcat - Forward Looking Radar Test Set

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I picked this up for $20 at an estate sale a couple summers back. It was the last day of the sale and the old guy just wanted to give it to me. At the very least I was interested in the dust covered container still buried in the corner of the garage but also interested what was inside. After talking to the guy for a while I found out he helped design this instrument for the F-14A Tomcat in the late 80's I guess it was. He then goes inside and gives me the full schematic and directions that go along with it. Took it home and buried it in the corner of my garage until this weekend when I dug it out while organizing. As the cover of the binder says, it is a Forward Looking Radar Test Set, he said designed for the plane used in Top Gun. Said he could control the plane with it and that the government wanted more until he gave them a quote for a million dollars each. That was the about the time everything started going digital and he did not get the contract... So now I have this instrument with no idea if it is of any value or of any use for a Tomcat enthusiast or collector. Wasn't sure whether I should post here, Militaria, Garage Sale, or in the What is it subforums. I guess mainly I am interested in value before I either trash it or quit my job. Any input appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200127_150346.jpg
    20200127_150346.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
  • 20200127_150047.jpg
    20200127_150047.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
  • 20200127_150022.jpg
    20200127_150022.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
  • 20200127_145830.jpg
    20200127_145830.jpg
    986 KB · Views: 126

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy moly now that is really cool I would think a collector would love to have that

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
have u tried to power it up ? just my guess it doesnt work ? i see some of the panel screws arent all the way in. so the panel has probably been removed for some reason ? the thing with electronics is they become obsolete so fast. but what do i know ? just my 2 penny's

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Screws are undone because I wanted to look inside and get a pic. Haven't considered powering it up but I do have several cables so I will look into it. The capacitors "look" good (no leaks). Could be a cold solder joint I guess but doesn't look too complicated... what do I know? HA!

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it generates microwave signals with return delay pulses so you can check your radar on the aircraft. Firing it up won't do much. Some collector might like it. Of course if you plan to buy a F14 maybe you will want to keep it ...grin...

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I know who pays really well, so do the feds.
but I think they have upgraded the radar, so might not be useful
not many collectors with F-14As

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend that used to work on the F-14A and many others. I will call him now.

I'll get back to you shortly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks Diggin' History. I will hold off listing on the bay for a while.

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Diggin' History. I will hold off listing on the bay for a while.

You're welcome RW. Hope I can help you out - I left a voicemail so I should hear from in within the hour.
-DH-

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got off the phone with him. He said that the ship that he was stationed on only had four F-14's and they were always needed repair and that he had no knowledge of the device. He did say that it sounded like it was pre-FLIR, which it is, and that it would make a great collector's item and suggested you go ahead and list it on the "Bay".

I wouldn't begin to know how much you should ask but, you could list it for a million bucks and list it with OBO. :snicker;

Good luck with it and sorry I couldn't be of more help.
-DH-

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks DH, it is a help. Well I guess to the bay it is then to see what happens... I had an old uranium detector that sat for sale for a couple years then one day, poof, "you have money". Will be interesting to see what kind of questions I receive. I was thinking $1,000 but I think I will try $10,000 just to see haha. At least it will be out there and not just collecting dust. Thanks

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, put an initial high price on it just in case it turns out to be worth far more than you thought.
I had a set of Paul Revere spoons that I put on e-bay at a price high enough that if sold, I would not have any regrets. This also lead to people posting comments which also helped. You might also try some Aviation museums for information and potential buyers.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not to discourage you, but radar test sets are common and you can’t control the airplane with one, however, if yours is rare, as the designer said it was, it should be worth something to a collector or aircraft museum. Good luck

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any politician worth their salt would be on the phone with China to sell that.
Just one of the ways you get to be a millionaire in a few short years on a 140K salary.

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Any politician worth their salt would be on the phone with China to sell that.
Just one of the ways you get to be a millionaire in a few short years on a 140K salary.

I'm listening.. What's the phone number to China?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread