German WWII Slides

Baribal

Jan 28, 2020
Germany
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,
amongst some other stuff I've bought I found around 80 German WWII slides showing pictures of soldiers, SS, submarines, executions and scenes from Stalingrad. I know nothing about the pre-owner. I think due to the plastic frames they are definitely younger than 1945 even though the pictures were taken at that time.
Can anybody estimate what they are worth?

1.JPG
This picture shows Karl Herman Frank (Protector of Bohemia and Moravia)
2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the crucial questions are how good is the quality and whether these are slide copies from original prints or negatives (using a reversal process) that could potentially be previously unpublished.

If you have the means to project them, or can give them a really critical look under a loupe, you may be able to tell whether they have just been camera-copied from books. Also, if you take some better pictures of them yourself you may be able to find the original versions/sources using Google's reverse look-up for images.

From the diverse nature of the subject matter, locations, and time period of the images I would suspect they have been camera-copied from other publications, perhaps for use in a slide-show presentation, in which case the value will be almost nil. Even if they've been taken from original prints/negatives that are previously unpublished, the value is not going to be high for images of things for which many other pictures exist. There are numerous pictures of Frank's execution for example. That low value would only change if something rarely photographed has been captured.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread