Found in grandparents storage

Adam0000

Greenie
May 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was told it's possible opal and a few hundred years old, what's your thoughts and what could it be worth, thanks in advance;)

ADA5543A-5389-4560-81B4-B84AFA6010D5.jpeg
B3856F56-33B2-4148-B3EE-F67C5B546F54.jpeg

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whatever they are, they look to be machined to me, and definitely
not opal.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go to a jeweler they should be able to tell you

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net.

I won’t be quite so disparaging about your item, but it’s certainly not made from opal and neither is it hundreds of years old.

There are 27 beads, so I would think it’s a ‘mala’… a string of prayer beads commonly used in Hindu, Jain, Sikh, Buddhist and Shinto religions. Their equivalent to a rosary.

A full mala necklace has 108 beads plus sometimes a 109th one of a distinctive size or colour but ‘pocket malas’ or ‘mala bracelets’ commonly have 27 or 54 beads and occasionally other multiples of 9 as a ‘sacred number’.

In more recent times the beads are often in the form of skulls and machine carved from things like ox-bone. If those are carved then they could be vintage to modern, but even vintage ones don’t have a value beyond about $50. If they’re moulded from resin or plastic then the value is zilch. Moulded ones can be readily identified from the fact that all of the beads in a string will be identical or at least a string of them will contain multiple beads which are identical to one another.

OP
OP
A

Adam0000

Greenie
May 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net.

I won’t be quite so disparaging about your item, but it’s certainly not made from opal and neither is it hundreds of years old.

There are 27 beads, so I would think it’s a ‘mala’… a string of prayer beads commonly used in Hindu, Jain, Sikh, Buddhist and Shinto religions. Their equivalent to a rosary.

A full mala necklace has 108 beads plus sometimes a 109th one of a distinctive size or colour but ‘pocket malas’ or ‘mala bracelets’ commonly have 27 or 54 beads and occasionally other multiples of 9 as a ‘sacred number’.

In more recent times the beads are often in the form of skulls and machine carved from things like ox-bone. If those are carved then they could be vintage to modern, but even vintage ones don’t have a value beyond about $50. If they’re moulded from resin or plastic then the value is zilch. Moulded ones can be readily identified from the fact that all of the beads in a string will be identical or at least a string of them will contain multiple beads which are identical to one another.

Thank you for your reply. You are correct it is a mala however the material is unknown to me. Seems like you have great knowledge. I will have to get it seen to by someone in person i guess. I was told ivory then opel, i was relieved its not ivory as it may become a legal issues.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have seen them now manufactured in plastic resin. Back in 1992 I bought strings of skull beads made of bone, dyed an amber brown. I'll take a pic of one when I see the sample board of beads. If I can remember right I think I got them in India.

OP
OP
A

Adam0000

Greenie
May 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen them now manufactured in plastic resin. Back in 1992 I bought strings of skull beads made of bone, dyed an amber brown. I'll take a pic of one when I see the sample board of beads. If I can remember right I think I got them in India.

These are also from india

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread