1950s Panel Van Doors

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've had these doors in the basement for a while. I'd like to get rid of them, but first I want to know what would be a good price. They aren't in fantastic shape, but they aren't so bad either. 20200615_102313.jpg 20200615_102342.jpg 20200615_102555.jpg 20200615_102813.jpg

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not worth anything. Junk yard might give a $1.00.
Before you get ride of them take that little square panel off and make sure it isn't full of paper money.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worth plenty to somebody building one. Put them on Craigs list.. ebay lists 50s stuff from 300 to 700 for rear panel truck doors

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Worth plenty to somebody building one. Put them on Craigs list.. ebay lists 50s stuff from 300 to 700 for rear panel truck doors

Good tip smallfoot. I was going to say the same thing. About $175 - $250.00 each to that guy building one.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not worth anything. Junk yard might give a $1.00.
Before you get ride of them take that little square panel off and make sure it isn't full of paper money.

Envoy, people are ignorant these days and throw everything away (not directed personally at you Rodger). In restorations, the smallest part can be very expensive to obtain. Figure out what year and model and put up some Craigslist adds. They are not making anymore of them. Someone might just want them for the glass.

Reproduction body panels are junk and take twice the labor to make fit and never are really right except from a distance. People that do restorations understand this well.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Young people don’t realize the value and older people just remember what things cost 60 years ago (and how easily you could buy OEM parts).

OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like they are worth putting up on Craigslist. I did open up the panel and peer inside, but I plan on sticking a snake cam in there in the future. I'll let you all know how that turns out.

OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Envoy, people are ignorant these days and throw everything away (not directed personally at you Rodger). In restorations, the smallest part can be very expensive to obtain. Figure out what year and model and put up some Craigslist adds. They are not making anymore of them. Someone might just want them for the glass.

Reproduction body panels are junk and take twice the labor to make fit and never are really right except from a distance. People that do restorations understand this well.

How would you suggest finding out the make and model?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing I’d do is stand them upright and take some pictures of both sides. Then take a close up of the door handles and lock and any hardware on the inside. Someone that is interested in buying it, will want to know if they are rusted out, so I’d take a few pictures inside if you do take the access cover off.

I’d post these photos to the “what is it?” Forum here and get some eyes on it. I’ve got a book around here somewhere. I’ll take a look in a bit.

If I was to throw out an off the cuff guess..I’d say start looking at 1947-1955 Advanced Design Chevy panel trucks.

Last edited:

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
I sold an old Ford panel truck (50) for scrap price as it had no glass, engine, transmission, floor, seats, rear end or most of the front end to a guy West of Denver. I'm 80 miles south of Kansas City so an all day drive. I was just cleaning up an estate. He drove all that was as he restored them and had to have the same thickness metal.
You can take some pics, go to the H.A.M.B. (hotrodder/old car guy site). You can get an I.D. on the doors and probably sell them AND make someone happy. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread