Ivory tusk

Molly7970

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This goes against everything I believe in because ivory hunting is BS, but this was a gift from my Grandpa and I wanted to know how much they are worth. There are two in the set. Very, very heavy. Funny story from my 20s- I had them on my bed mantle and was fooling around with a guy and the tusk fell off, hit him in the head, and knocked him unconscious. Anyway, how much do you think they are worth?

Attachments

• 20201101_180024.jpg
    20201101_180024.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
  • 20201101_180016.jpg
    20201101_180016.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 104
  • 20201101_180012.jpg
    20201101_180012.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 121

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the pictures it appears you have a "resin" cast and not actual ivory... BUT... I cannot be absolute NOR claim it is "not real" on treasurenet without certainty... without more pictures... OF... the top and end... particularly the end... close and clear please.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the pictures it appears you have a "resin" cast and not actual ivory... BUT... I cannot be absolute NOR claim it is "not real" on treasurenet without certainty... without more pictures... OF... the top and end... particularly the end... close and clear please.

I agree, it's not speaking to me from the pics as true ivory, but lighting differs.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You don't support ivory being saved from dead elephants , throw them away for what they represent. Elephants will still die. Standard of living in areas that create support of poaching vs legal game hunting insure poaching will continue.
Despite the ban here on importation.
Feel free to research the importation law for non commercial use/possession. What does that have to do with how much your pieces are worth IF they were real?

For you to seek value puts you in the same boat as the pursuit of value from ivory. Ironic ain't it...

IF they are ivory they're worth enough to buy a helmet to have a guy wear when you're foolin around..
Maybe even pay for some reflex training so he don't get bonked when not on the bed , and helmetless.
They look like resin cast pieces to my eye also though.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'd need a picture of the bottom of them to verify.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with AARC, I do not see any sign of the grain that elephant ivory will show in the carved areas. Regarding value, were it real elephant ivory it is illegal to sell elephant ivory interstate (federal law) and many states have banned sales of elephant ivory altogether, making it's value nil in many places. Of course there are still people who collect it even though sales are banned where they live, but finding such folks may not be easy and ebay and other auction sites will not handle it. Pretty funny story about your friend getting knocked out!!

Last edited:

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014

I agree. That doesn’t look like ivory but DOES look like resin.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Tourist level fake ivory until we see the grain. That can be faked as well.
Deep rc.

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Heat up a sewing needle red hot and stick in the base..if it melts..it's resin..if not it's the real deal..

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly, they do look like they require some strength to hold...in the picture they look very heavy..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread