Diamonds Real or Fake?

Jan 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A person contacted me in hopes of finding a buyer for a few supposed precious gemstones they say they unearthed in Asia. This is the only photo I have at the moment. Can anyone comment on the cut of these stones? Is it a more modern cut or would something like that have been done before the 1940s?

received_409533910472459.jpeg

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-coat is right. Let the buyer beware.

OP
OP
Golden Wizard King
Jan 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone with experience may be able to answer my main question which was about the cut of the stones. I realize I'll have to get them tested. Remember they are in Asia. So before I spend even a cent on any of this, I'm trying to mine what little information I can. These people are very poor. They can't afford all that. But I know them well and this happens to be in a place where such a thing is possible. So just relax. I don't expect to reach any conclusions here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone with experience could answer my main question which was about the cut of the stones. I realize I'll have to get them tested. Remember they are in Asia. So before I spend even a cent on any of this, I'm trying to mine what little information I can. These people are very poor. They can't afford all that. But I know them well and this happens to be in a place where such a thing is possible. So just relax. I don't expect to reach any conclusions here.

I’m perfectly relaxed thank you.

Between about 1890-1930, the standard cut for diamonds was what is known as the “Old European Cut” (or the less showy “Old Mine Cut”) and thereafter was progressively overtaken by the “Brilliant Cut” (first developed in 1919). Your picture is nowhere near good enough to count the facets on the crowns nor see the size of the table at the centre of the faceting, nor the height of the crown. There’s also no view of the pavilion below the girdle and the faceting thereof to enable those to be counted. So, you’re asking an unanswerable question based on what you have shown.

Even without better pictures the potential simple answers are: “yes, if that’s a brilliant cut then it could well be from before the 1940s or after the 1940s”; and “yes, if it’s an old European cut it’s likely to be from before the 1940s but could still be later, depending on where it was cut”. Neither answer will help you determine the truthfulness of the story you have been given, nor address the “real or fake?” question posed in the title of your thread.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rule #1-Fake until proven otherwise.
Rule#2-Nevwr trust the paper documentation if not a recognized company.
Rule#3-They all claim the worse and hope for the best.
There's no way of determining anything from a poor quality picture.
Then again your right it seems, as you believe the story.
Your $$$ the advise given by RC is well understood.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know them well as you say, then you should be able to trust them and why would the age or cut matter, just a test to see if they are real is the only thing that would matter. If you are questioning if they are real or fake diamonds over the internet with a picture you have answered your own question as to if you believe these people.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless they are dirt cheap, I would stay away unless it is a reputable dealer and comes with a GIA certificate. The cut is ok, but they could be about anything, cut glass, cubic zirconia, quartz, anything.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW
the fact that your stones are being secured in a case using a common household sponge split and trimmed to fit stones and case wont help your case
IMO
Brady

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
You are not here to reach any conclusions of whether the stones are real or fake, yet the title of the thread is "diamonds real or fake?".

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you guys forget our rules, or just choosing to ignore them?:BangHead:

Posts deleted, highly recommend it not be repeated, this is NOT how we treat a new member!

"Keep the discussion civil, respectful and on topic."

"Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone"

OP
OP
Golden Wizard King
Jan 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are not here to reach any conclusions of whether the stones are real or fake, yet the title of the thread is "diamonds real or fake?".

I didn't say I wasn't here to find answers. I said I didn't expect to reach a conclusion. Playing word games with you people gets boring pretty quick I gotta tell you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't say I wasn't here to find answers. I said I didn't expect to reach a conclusion. Playing word games with you people gets boring pretty quick I gotta tell you.

GWK, please read our rules, link in my signature, if you post something and you feel member or members are insulting you or attacking you please report it and let a moderator handle it.

Everyone else in this thread has been here long enough to know our rules.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Golden Wizard King
Jan 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless they are dirt cheap, I would stay away unless it is a reputable dealer and comes with a GIA certificate. The cut is ok, but they could be about anything, cut glass, cubic zirconia, quartz, anything.

received_420589475931736.jpeg

The stones were allegedly found buried and encased in this concrete. The guys who are telling me about this and I spent months operating together. You're right they are probably fake but its worth a shot. I personally know two guys who recovered diamonds in SE Asia and went from rags to riches over night. So I wanted to entertain the idea. Thank you for commenting.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1897443

The stones were allegedly found buried, encased in this concrete. The guys who are telling me about this and I spent months operating together. You're right they are probably fake but its worth a shot. I personally know two guys who recovered diamonds in SE Asia and went from rags to riches over night. So I wanted to entertain the idea. Thank you for commenting.

Concrete you say... ?

Interesting story and now this encasement scenario... any way to get clear pictures of this "stone" item... marking etc.

Also... I will point out a few initial things you can look at with a decent magnifying glass... when looking at each... look for how "clear" they each are... if they are all completely ... o mean absolutely clear... this is suspect.

IF you see inclusions... this would be a good INITIAL sign.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A $20 diamond tester will tell if the white ones are diamonds. Amazon and Ebay sell them. The colored stones need a jeweler who knows their stuff or a gemologist to know for sure. I got one of the diamond testers and they work great. Of course, you have to get the stone in contact with the device!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately the $20.00 testers can't tell if they are moissanite stone or real diamond....

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will let you in on a little secret.

Diamond testers can also tell you if many suspected stones are stones and not glass.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meta data analysis shows that picture has been floating around the internet for years, so, twofold, the "stones" you'd be getting are not those in the pics and by default, won't be natural.

Seems like every time we meet, I got nothin' but bad news for you. I'm sorry about that, I surely am. But for what it's worth... you've made a believer out of me. Good luck, kiddo.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread