Anyone recognize this bronze pls? Käthe Kollwitz?

HappyDay

Greenie
Jul 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Purchased this bronze from a retired attorney who had a house full of 19th C Faberge and other authentic Russian antiquities, Tiffany Studios, and many others One piece she had sold for $229,000 at auction (in news) and I saw little "junk" at her home. She also worked as attorney for offshore financial networks in Cayman Islands for years and was often paid in gold, silver, and antiquities. So there is a chance this has some value. She thought a Faberge item was Tiffany and had some memory issues including which artist made the bronze. She thinks she purchased it at a famous NY antique auction event during the 50's, but again, she may have been mistaken. I forgot the auction event name but when she told me I recognized it because the auction is still talked and written about today.

Unfortunately bronze is out of my scope of knowledge and have been searching for someone who recognizes it. So far a local dealer focused on bronze thinks it might be Kathe Kollwitz but with no certainty.

I can't locate any signature and the agate base initially made me apprehensive that it's anything special but the item is probably German, French, or from another European country, so it's feasible. The base may have been added later and signature underneath legs, it's flat and would stand without the agate.

Thank you in advance for any analysis. I really could use a good find right now (i.e. Kollwitz), as we all could. I am braced for it being nothing special.

Happy hunting! IMG_4467.JPG IMG_4472.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4452.JPG
    IMG_4452.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4447.JPG
    IMG_4447.JPG
    976.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4428.JPG
    IMG_4428.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4413.JPG
    IMG_4413.JPG
    969.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4410.JPG
    IMG_4410.JPG
    900.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HappyDay

Greenie
Jul 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I thought the same about some of her images. It is smaller, about 73-75mm tall with base being ~80mm wide.

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It kind of looks like an enamel covered ceramic piece to me. Can you have it tested to prove it is bronze?

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it was mine, i would carefully separate from the base for a peek at the bottom
you could always glue it back
IMO
Brady

OP
OP
H

HappyDay

Greenie
Jul 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it was mine, i would carefully separate from the base for a peek at the bottom
you could always glue it back
IMO
Brady

Thank you. I am waiting on one of the larger auction houses to get back to me. I would prefer it be done by someone who knows what they are doing. I break things. I expect there is a signature there, otherwise perhaps it's just an older, decent amateur piece and that may be what appraisers inform.

If you ever need advice on a jewelry makers mark, pm me.

Have a nice week!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one ugly odd piece,

No offense.

Which only means its prolly worth $$$.

Its that stuff that for I don't know why that brings big bucks at times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions