Old painting from Ludwig Eibl

Danniel

Mar 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Not sure if i am at the right place with this question.
But i have an old painting of the outhor: ludwig eibl.
The painting is of " the witch of haarlem"
Its an old oil painting.
On the back it says its from ludwig and i know this is a version of malle babbe from frans hals.

Anyone know the value of this work?

P.s. the picture is from the internet.
I have the painting in another location and no fotos here with me.

Regards. Frans_Hals_-_Malle_Babbe_(Witch_of_Haarlem)_1633-1635_-_(MeisterDrucke-231843).jpg

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Danniel! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

tn_link.gif
2nd - I searched Google and found a bunch - here are just two...

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

A quick check shows auction prices for Ludwig Eiblā€™s work ranging between $672 - $5,091 but values depend on quality, medium, subject matter and size (as well as condition, of course). That top recorded price was for a 40 x 20 inch oil on canvas titled ā€œHunting Still Life with Pheasant and Duckā€ sold in 2017 in Neumeister. More typical prices for decent-sized work would be in the region of $1,500 - $2,000.

Eibl isnā€™t exactly known for copies of ā€˜old mastersā€™, but I would expect those to be less desirable than his original compositions, which are mainly still-life. Frans Halsā€™ original ā€˜Malle Babbeā€™ is 30 x 25 inches, so if this is a full-size copy it at least has that going for it.

Itā€™s difficult to say much more without seeing the actual picture and some confirmation of its provenance/provenience. You say ā€œon the back it says its from Ludwigā€ but what exactly does that mean? Is it actually signed, or does it simply have a written attribution? Is the indication actually on the picture, on the frame/mount, and is it a label or actually on the work itself? Is it not signed on the front?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread