May I get some thoughts on value and/or importance? Jean E Bales

FallColors

Sep 27, 2020
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for looking and for any help! I purchased the painting during an online auction in my state of Oklahoma. Jean Bales was a resident.

Jean E Bale - Native American of the Iowa tribe. B 1946 D 2004

Painting is 9" x 5" Written on the back is: Wild + Free By Jean E Bales

bales.jpg 20210412_151235.jpg

bales3.jpg

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Usually when there its a circled C mean a copy or copy right-which means a print. The prints online as you probably have seen are numbered, and some art sold with the C haven't. It seems the art does command a good price and probably a good auction house could give you an idea on value. Heritage Auctions have commissioned pieces before.

OP
OP
F

FallColors

Sep 27, 2020
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I considered that it might be a print because of the C, but after looking at some of her other original works and the title on the back in her hand, I think it's an original. I've submitted it to be checked. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I considered that it might be a print because of the C, but after looking at some of her other original works and the title on the back in her hand, I think it's an original. I've submitted it to be checked. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I don't have a view on whether this is a print or an original, but it can be both in the sense that she was also a print-maker and not just a producer of one-off artworks. Are you sure that the attribution on the back is in her hand? It doesn't look like the same handwriting she used for her signature. Compare the style of the 'J' for example. Also, as per the signature on the front, she signed her works 'J.Bales' with the deliberate intention of obscuring her gender. I suspect the attribution on the back was added by a previous owner/collector or gallery.

OP
OP
F

FallColors

Sep 27, 2020
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To my eye, it looks like her writing. My opinion and a couple of bucks will get you a coffee. I've seen a few of her prints and, the few I've seen, are numbered. I've also seen a claimed original that is signed like mine.

Claimed originals with C:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203311189920?hash=item2f564a8fa0:g:81cAAOSwr9FgVjJX
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202632985233?hash=item2f2dddfa91:g:DxYAAOSwTkFca1HX

without C (that I'm guessing may be an older work?)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/131187603044?hash=item1e8b63f664:g:WDEAAOxyOalTbtv9

Here, the seller is claiming originals, but they are numbered prints:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203129957724?hash=item2f4b7d2d5c:g:rBMAAOSwYJpfe8xL

I really appreciate your input as I've followed you here for some time and give weight to your opinion.

I've submitted this painting through Sotheby's online form and hope to get an answer within a week. Either way, I was born and live in Oklahoma - my family is Native American (Chickasaw, not Iowan like Jean), I do like Native American crafts and artwork, so for 9 bucks...I consider it a bargain.

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I'm not doubting that the signature on the front is hers... only that the attribution on the back might not be, and could be a later addition by someone else when the work was mounted/framed. I base that view partly on the handwriting, but also on the reports that she habitually signed her work 'J. Bales' because she wished not to advertise the fact that she was female (and the 'Jean' on the back gives it away).

As I said, I don't have a view on whether or not this is a print but, even as a print, it could still be an 'original' in the sense that she produced the work herself and it's not one of a longer print run nor a 'licensed-out' reproduction from an original. The purpose of a copyright mark is generally to inhibit the production of unlicensed copies.

Just as an aside, it's not unusual for artists to produce prints in two series: limited edition print runs which are either by or closely supervised by the artist, are numbered and of high quality; and unlimited print runs which are artist-authorised, may or may not be by artist-supervised, not numbered and of lesser quality. Usually, the latter are produced in sufficient volume that you'll readily find identical examples by Googling. The absence of those is a good sign for yours being an original and also, without any numbering, it's not likely to be from a limited edition print run either.

Good luck. I hope Sotheby's gives you a positive answer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FallColors

Sep 27, 2020
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No word back from Sotheby's, yet. They claimed I would have an answer within a week, but maybe they're reaaaalllly having to put some investigation before they slap the 6 figure estimate on this one. :icon_thumright:

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the only way it is 6 figures is if you count the dollars and cents columns...:laughing7:

It does not appear that Bales ever signed with "Jean E Bales"...especially with an ink pen on the back..

From what I can gather...she made a bunch of prints with the copyright symbol to take to shows...she would the sign below the printed signature with the # of the print and the run...
Good luck

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Did they get back to you regarding the painting?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread