1697 Susan Swan Wampum Bag - Page 4
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: 1697 Susan Swan Wampum Bag

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Wood Butcher

Apr 2013
    Indian River Co., Fl
    AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
    2222 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDeep View Post
    I contacted Gwendolyn Saul, PhD, Curator of Ethnography and Ethnology at the New York State Museum where they confirmed the Swan Bag resides. They indicated it is not for sale and is not currently on public display but is available for study and observation by appointment.

I think that answers many of our questions.
    But aren't many items "on Loan" to such establishments?
    Red-Coat, Fat, GoDeep and 2 others like this.

gb
    Dec 2019
    Surrey
    7701 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PetesPockets55 View Post
    Yes... and I believe that's the case here. The museum may be the current custodian of the bag, but I don't think they actually own it.

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    3468 times
    At least we now know why there's been no pictures taken of it and no appraisal done.
    Last edited by GoDeep; Sep 09, 2021 at 09:49 AM.
    US Army, Operation Desert Storm, 1987-1993. Resident De-Bunker. I'm blunt because I don't have time to indulge your fantasies. Treasure is found down here on Earth, not on Google Earth.

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    3468 times
    Paper's/studies on it from the early 2000's indicated it was on loan, i don't know if that's still the case. I will follow up with them later today and find out.
    US Army, Operation Desert Storm, 1987-1993. Resident De-Bunker. I'm blunt because I don't have time to indulge your fantasies. Treasure is found down here on Earth, not on Google Earth.

gb
    Dec 2019
    Surrey
    7701 times
    At least we now know why there's been no pictures taken of it and no appraisal done.
    No recent pictures of it, but it was comprehensively pictured in the 2004 paper I have already linked to... although only in black & white.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    6323 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Red-Coat View Post
    No recent pictures of it, but it was comprehensively pictured in the 2004 paper I have already linked to... although only in black & white.
    BLack and white in 2004.....WHY? you would think capturing the colors and such would be important in the documentation and study of it?
    GoDeep likes this.

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    3468 times
    Yes, that's what i meant, recent, color pictures from the representative of the family that we've asked for on numerous occasions. It's in storage and it doesn't sound like anyone's arranged a viewing of it recently.
    Last edited by GoDeep; Sep 10, 2021 at 01:32 AM.
    pepperj and crashbandicoot like this.

gb
    Dec 2019
    Surrey
    7701 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpmetal View Post
    BLack and white in 2004.....WHY? you would think capturing the colors and such would be important in the documentation and study of it?
    The pdf made available for free on the net by the museum is a greyscale scan of the original book (as is usual for many such releases). I don't know if the published print vsrsion had colour photographs, but it would cost $30 to find out,
    Fat, pepperj and crashbandicoot like this.

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    3468 times
    Yes, her latest reply indicates it is on loan and they will make it available for study and viewing if you pre arrange. She also indicates they are working on digitizing some of their collection and may make photo's available online of it in the future:

"Hello David,

The Swan bag has been on loan to NYSM for many years. We’re honored to care for it and make it available for research and study. Because it is so fragile, I do not anticipate it going on display anytime soon. I am at the beginning of a digitization project for Ethnology collections, so perhaps in the future it would be possible to make images of the basket available on-line. In the meantime, I hope you might be able to visit us in person to see the bag.

Sincerely, Gwen"

us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    4045 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I contacted Gwendolyn Saul, PhD, Curator of Ethnography and Ethnology at the New York State Museum where they confirmed the Swan Bag resides. They indicated it is not for sale and is not currently on public display but is available for study and observation by appointment.

I think that answers many of our questions.

rut ro raggy this is a major blow dealt to the STORY
    crashbandicoot likes this.

br
    Jul 2018
    2075 times
    These days...simply NTF it for a few $million
    Last edited by xaos; Sep 14, 2021 at 04:48 PM.
    crashbandicoot likes this.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government

us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    4045 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Like I've said before , it's always the new members who post the best finds, why is that?

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    3468 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ticndig View Post
    Like I've said before , it's always the new members who post the best finds, why is that?
    Because they lack a connection to and standing within this community. As such, they feel no accountability for any claims made.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links