1937 German bayonet

neo2868

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesero Tiger Shark
I found this bayonet while out metal detecting. The maker info is as follows:

it was made by: Friedrich A. Herder und Sohn, Solingen
in 1937, the serial number is 1938 on the scabbard and the waffenampt number is too small to read with the naked eye ( I need a magnifying glass) it has wood handles. It is the SG. 84/98 III bayonet for the KAR 98 rifle this one is rusty and I am in the process of restoring it but this is a picture of what it looks like

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,350

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The recent influx of affordable Russian-capture Mauser Kar 98k rifles has introduced a new generation of collectors to this legendary German rifle of World War II.

http://www.allmilitaria.com/knives.html one sold here for 115.00

Made for the KAR98 rifle
SG. 84/98 III Markings

Both the bayonet and scabbard were marked with a serial number, year of manufacture, and maker's mark. Bayonet and scabbard markings will match, if the bayonet and scabbard have remained together since new. Government acceptance marks, called waffenampts, were also placed on both the bayonet and scabbard.

Serial numbers were used in blocks of 10,000, from 1-9999, then 1a-9999a, then 1b-9999b, and so on. Number series' were sometimes continued into the next year, without starting over at number one. With one exception, Genossenshaft Maschinenfabrik, Ferlach, all makers used this same serial numbering pattern. Ferlach used a complex formula to assign serial numbers, the explanation of which is beyond the scope of this writing.

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006
it absolutely usualy k98 bayonet , I have some of it. one of my k98 bayonet has a number 5xxx I don't remember because bayonet at home but Im on the work.

B

BIG61AL

I collected Nazi Stuff for a few years while I was much younger a long time ago
Wood handles definately date this as pre WWII. as soon as the war started wood was too expesive to use in mass production. They switched to a hard plastic handle.
I bought a Parade bayonet [chrome plated] for 35 bucks - 30 years ago.
I would not list your bayonet if it is in as good of condition in the photo for less than $50 today

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread