Coal Scrip?

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
I hope this is the best place to post this. I have searched for info on some coal script I have until i have a headache lol. Here is a list of what I have any info on value would be great. i am cleaning out alot of my old collections to either sell or trade to get some silver coins for my 6 year old God-Daughter. i gave her some Merc Dimes and she now has the bug. Even helps me search rolls lol. Anyway If anyone knows an approximate value of these please let me know. I dont think any of them are super rare. I had started collecting script a few yeatrs back but never got into it past these 5 lol

1)Clean Eagle Coal Co. 5 Mallory W.Va(No date not sure if its 5 cents of 5 dollars I would bet 5 cents though) I would guess the grade is very good Everything is very readable including the real little words on the back. Sows slight signs of discoloration. It is a bronze color.

2)Hatfield-Campbell Creek Coal Comapny 5 Reed W.Va 1950 with an H cut out of the middle. Silver lookingCondition is almost new looking

3)William Ann CoalCo. 5 Burch W.Va No date Has a W A cut out of the middle. Dark Bronze in color. Barley used if used at all

4)Logan County Coal Corp. 5 Lundale W Va 1946 Dark Bronze with an L cut out. Used very litte.

5)Leckie Smokeless Coal Co. 5 Anjean W. Va Silver looking with an L S cut out Like new

Thanks for the help.

P,S If this isnt enough info I can post pics If I can ever find my camera lol

-K

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
1. if on the back in the banner pat. pend it is $ up to $6 (depending on buyer) to me it is a $1 token because once you have one why get another unless it is a rare one where you can trade or you buy it cheap enough to sell it cheap enough to another collector or seller. rated R6 but this is common you have to find R9 to R10 to really raise value
if in the banner it has des. pat it is .50 to $1.50

2.we call it white metal wm to cover diff. nickle compositions this is R2 lucky to get over $1 but could ask $3 if buyer want it.

3.if it has ICS- insurance credit system not bad at R8 $5 to $20
if MMISC pat pend R3 $1.00 to $3

4. R1 >50 to $1.50

5.wm again others that are bronze or copper are generally called brass B or Br slight difference in coloration due to mixture of metals. this one is R3 $1 to $3

generally they are all real common. there are only so many collectors of wv tokens
R1 300 or more know $1.75
R2 200-299 known 2.75
R3 150-199 $4.00
R4 100-149 $5.00
R5 75-99 $6.50
R6 50-74 $10.00
R7 25-49 $15
R8 10-24 $22 +
R9 5 -9 $35 +
R10 1-4 $60 +

in my opinion R1 thru R6 are value $.50 to $3
R7 and R8 $5 to $25
R9 $40 up to $90
R10 $50 up to $150 and rarely more

condition, rarity, if picture scrip or not, if town on token or not. so are just more collected than others. like more people collect a certain county. or state.

i collect all states except wv, ky va and pa. i specialize in tn, oh, al, tx so i would pay more for the ones i need from my favorite states, towns or countys.

by far wv then ky then va, pa are most common simply because of the number of mines in these states. it all depends on what happened to the tokens when they were stopped being used. buried in mine, tossed in river, given out to kids, stuck in a safe, sent in for brass during war effort, melted down,

condition is a factor but not primary-if i don't have one i want one in most any condition but at less $

hope this helps and spread around i buy tokens. ebay is a fantastic way to sell very rare tokens. but common tokens bring minimum prices. but on ebay you get people bidding that lived or worked aroundthe mine or relatives. or maybe a person collecting anything from a certain town .

this is a lot hope it helps. good luck with them finding a buyer. like i say i do not collect wv, but would buy the rarer ones for trade. people get scared to sell tokens because the price can be varied. you may note saloon tokens are one of the best sellers. there are all kinds of tokens you have to specialize to be able to build any quality of collection. you can't get them all.

you knew your's are all coal scrip? i also collect lumber and anything tennessee in general.

mike williams, knoxville, tn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread