1923 Morgan silver dollar

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
A 1923 dollar would be a peace dollar. the morgans ended in 1921. ss

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See, that shows you how much I know about silver dollars! ::) JIM

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stoney56 said:
Jim, didn't get aclose look at it but probably about $9-$11 based on ebay prices.

If it's in "about good condition"

it's only worth a little more than spot price on silver,

"about good" is pretty worn out, and has no collector value (especially) on common date/mint pieces,

I'd say more like $6 / $7 tops - (you can buy uncirculated pieces of that yr for $20).

still a nice bonus for a club hunt though!

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's better than about good, sharp edges, no appreciable wear, just a scratch or two and some light staining. JIM

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most Likely You could get $10.00 to $15.00 for it, "IF" you were intrested in selling.
But I know Better.

you Could always Contact Home Shopping, & say it's a Rare Variety, that has been handled by Thousands over the years, & that it even has some Scratches to prove it.

But Today Only ;
$99.99. NO, $89.99. NO, IF YOU CALL NOW, $79.99 plus $15.99 Postage & handling & a Small fee of $7.99 for Insurance, You'll sell it.

Just Tell Them, If they Have any Collectors in their Family, they would Be Proud to have it as a Centerpiece in their Collection. and they should Supprise them with it for their Birthday. Of course it's never too Early to start Buying For Christmas ;D

Jeff

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naw, not for sale. I think there's a lot more collecting goes on here than selling or should I say hoarding? I'll just put it with all my "treasres" and handle it occasionally to remind me of my adventures@ JIM

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Most Likely You could get $10.00 to $15.00 for it, "IF" you were intrested in selling.
But I know Better.

? you Could always Contact Home Shopping, & say it's a Rare Variety, that has been handled by Thousands over the years, & that it even has some Scratches to prove it.

? ? ? ?? But Today Only ;
? $99.99. NO, $89.99. NO, IF YOU CALL NOW, $79.99 plus $15.99 Postage & handling & a Small fee of $7.99 for Insurance, You'll sell it.

Just Tell Them, If they Have any Collectors in their Family, they would Be Proud to have it as a Centerpiece in their Collection. and they should Supprise them with it for their Birthday. Of course it's never too Early to? start Buying For Christmas? ;D

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? Jeff

LOL!!

You ever see those common date/mint $20 St. Gaudens they try to push off on the UNsuspecting as BU for 2xs their true worth!?

I seen them selling one day on there for $995.00 + s/h !!

They were showing scratched up junk that looked like someone dipped in cleaner and then took sand paper to it, and went to town and then dipped again!! lol

Now I don't know about you guys but,

I can get those in that quality for just over spot usually ($450 to $475 on avg.)

But these guys were selling them for the $995.00 + s/h and selling them like "hot cakes"! In fact, they sold every single one of them BEFORE the segment was done!

Just goes to show how much people "think" they know about coins!

People buy that JUNK and bring it into my buddies coin shop to sell, and they say "what will you give me for these"!? I bought them on QV# or Home shopping #etwork and paid $___

My buddy will say (depending on exactly what it is) 1/4 to 1/3 to 1/2 of what YOU paid!! And they usually walk out the door swearing, and calling HIM the thief!?

Problem with that though is,

they take the junk to several different coin shops with their over-blown idea on what the coin/s are actually worth, trying to get the $$ they paid, and in a LOT of cases, a few days later, will come back to my buddy and say - "ok, I'll take your offer because you offered MORE than every one else in town"! ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep L_W , Exactly my point.

One show I was watching, they were selling 1900 Morgans in 1999.

? saying in 2000 they would be a goldmine.

someone called in and said "With all them Scratches It's not a very nice coin your selling"

? Their So-Called "EXPERT" said, This Coin was Handled my Many People, and Because of this, it makes it more Desirable By Collectors.

Later Someone Else Called in And Started saying :? ?" I bought a silver Dollar off you last time, for my husband. And he took it to a Local Dealer And He Said" (At this Point, they shut her down, and started Bragging the 1999 up again)

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? WHAT A JOKE? ???

This is why the local public is bidding higher then dealers at estate auctions these days. They think their getting deals.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Jeff

Ace

Greenie
Sep 26, 2004
California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer 2 w/Sunray X-1 Probe
According to the Red Book: 1923 Peace dollar (30,800,000 minted) - $11 in VF condition.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx. I have since got my own coin book, appreciate the effort. JIM

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
I know this may be somewhat off topic...

Those TV coin selling shows are always claiming how rare Morgan and Peace Dollars are
but they always seem to be able to find a blue million to sell to viewers.

They claim that "thousands of silver dollars were melted down during the 1980's" but they can never quote how many were actually melted.
I know that i sold many dimes and quarters when silver prices rose during the 1980's but i kept all my silver dollars and most people i know did the same.

Also watch out for their state quarter scams....

Just my 2 centavos,

Mike in SC

Boston Baked Bean

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2005
just a bit of info, its called the Peace dollar because of the way the Eagles wings sit folded down,not flared up like the Morgon,I think you will enjoy reading up about the Peace dollar,and keep your eyes peeled for the 1921 peace dollar
BBB

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all faairness from what I have read in this post, no one could really tell you what it's worth as there are too many variables . It's kinda' whatever the market will bear, and who knows from day to day? Monty

bigticket

Nov 9, 2005
jeff of pa said:
Yep L_W , Exactly my point.

One show I was watching, they were selling 1900 Morgans in 1999.

? saying in 2000 they would be a goldmine.

someone called in and said "With all them Scratches It's not a very nice coin your selling"

? Their So-Called "EXPERT" said, This Coin was Handled my Many People, and Because of this, it makes it more Desirable By Collectors.

Later Someone Else Called in And Started saying :? ?" I bought a silver Dollar off you last time, for my husband. And he took it to a Local Dealer And He Said" (At this Point, they shut her down, and started Bragging the 1999 up again)

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? WHAT A JOKE?? ???

This is why the local public is bidding higher then dealers at estate auctions these days. They think their getting deals.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Jeff
I have seen some of the coin shows on shop at home channels, but I have never heard anyone call in and say anything negative. Come to think of it, they never seem to air any calls. Maybe that is because they already know not to!
Even IF their coins were in the condition that they claim, when you look up the exact same coin, in the same condition that they claim theirs are in, it is likely to be worth one THIRD of their price.
The weirdest thing is that some coin dealers actually make excuses for them! (They promote coin collecting, or they have to pay the TV costs.)

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
red book show about 11.00 in good shape. also silver been going up here again, might be worth more for the silver,,

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't trust ebaY. People go nutz there. I hear "I won this on ebaY" all the time. I tell them, "No, you didn't win it. You just agreed to pay more than anyone else in the world would."

Check the grading service website

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/

It's also a good idea to invest in a photo grade book for US coins if you want to figure an approximate value for your finds by grade. Last I knew PCGS wouldn't grade a "dug" coin because they can't estimate how "environmental damage" and discolorations effect the grade.

THEN, check it against ebaY.

I've seen used items sell for more than new in-th-box items off ebaY. Great place to sell but be careful what you bid.

I have a well worn 1921 Peace Dollar I keep loose just for the pleasure of handling a "real" silver dollar once on a while. I also have one MS-65 slabbed Morgan just to remind me of what a beautiful coin it really was/is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread