Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: treasure beach find

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    2565 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Re: treasure beach find

Jake, the spike I found is a brass, square shank nail. Mine is missing the top half with the head. They are also made of iron. Jeff, I would like to read the post by Chiz, but I cannot get the whole message. I read: this bright and shiny disc turned out to be this..... How do I read the rest? I am computer illiterate. The eye of hurricane Katrina is just past. I will probably lose electric soon. Tree branches are breaking and lines are sparking. Will check back later. cypresshunter.

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    31056 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

You'll probably Have to Sign up over there, to get the Link to work Here.

Just go to

http://www.ighunters.net/phpBB2/inde...cceafa77e68b84

I'll Post the Pic.
    CHIZ is a Good Guy,
    Hopefully He Won't Mind.

? ? ? ?Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images  

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    2565 times

Nice pic. Appears to be stainless steel. How can I test for silver?

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    2565 times

The cremation society says that a cremation burns for 2 to 3 hours at 1500 to 2000 degrees F. Dental gold and silver are non-recoverable. A stainless steel hip replacement is recoverable. I found nothing yet on tags. bigcypresshunter.

us
    monty

Jan 2005
    Sand Springs, OK
    ACE 250, Garrett
    132 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Stainless steel is magnetic and silver isn't. JIM
    Don't make me loose the hounds! If you dig, Cover up your holes.

us
    Sep 2004
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by jimmileo
    Stainless steel is magnetic and silver isn't.? JIM
    Not all stainless steel is magnetic. If you go to a ship chandlery, you can buy SS nuts and bolts
    that are not magnetic. There are many places in a boat where these SS pieces are needed.
    Mounting the ship's compass is one example that comes to mind.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    2565 times

Just learned to use computer. Found site on testing metals: http://shorinternational.com/TestGoldMakeSolution.htm Tryed to e-mail Paula at genealogy site but got delivery failure. I would like to know where this child was born and any history associated with her. I believe this tag to be from the 1800's by the style of writing. Found in Vero Beach, Florida. Can anyone help? Thanks,cypresshunter.

SoutherMann

True SS is not magnetic!

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    2565 times

Update: I hope I'm not boring anyone, but something is telling me to find out the mystery of this artifact. Who is this child, who made this tag, for what purpose, and in what century? Heavily encrusted on the face side, buried so deep in the dunes, uncovered only after two successive hurricanes; it must be old. I don't see a match with modern stainless steel cremation tags. The first legal cremation being in 1872, in Great Britain. I checked Vero Beach history at http://www.rootsweb.com/~flindian/timeline.htm. The US Army established a post at Fort Vinton in 1842. The first settlers arrived in Indian River with promise of land if they bear arms against the Indians. But the inhabitants of this county were driven from it on account of Indian hostilities, and few of them would return. By 1850, Ft. Vinton was abandoned. Was JoAnn L. Hall a child from this failed original Indian River colony? 1850 census- http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb...50/pg0222a.txt -lists a Michael Hall in the US Army. Could he be related? Could this be some kind of official coffin or toe tag? What do the numbers G1506 mean? I think this is the key to positive identification. I am writing to the Vero Beach Historical Society and will keep y'all updated. My prayers go out for New Orleans evacuees. cypresshunter.

cm5838

I am new here, but this tag looks alot like tags put on or in coffins, some of the older ones had the deceased's name, there birth and death date and the plot number they were buried in. they have had problems with grave robbers digging up graves for these silver tags.
    just my opinion.
    charles

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    2565 times

Two successive hurricanes disturbed this possible gravesite, not me, so I don't feel so bad----and I might return it. And thank you Charles for the info. I appreciate any help. What century do you think this coffin tag is from?

cm5838

well, if it is silver try to find out how long it would have taken it to deteriorate to the point it is, those tags would have had a good finish on them. it may be hard to find out what reaction body fluids wold have had on them if it was inside a coffin though. my best guess would be 1844 or 1744, but i am not sure they used them in the 1700's. I used to know a corrosion micro biologist that could tell you, but she is no longer here. Wish i knew for sure.
    Charles

gb
    Jun 2005
    Northampton, UK
    Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
    22 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

Hi All,
    Any more news on the tag yet? will be great to know more.

God bless
    Peter Gill
    God Bless, Peter Gill

Website: http://petergill.webs.com "Peter Gill's Virtual Home".
    All items found using Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Silver Sabre II metal detector

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    2565 times

Peter, I appreciate the interest, but so far I have not been able to positive ID. I am leaning toward a coffin tag.
    Note of interest: A well known salvage group is diving a recently found shipwreck site that is 50 feet out in the water, directly straight out from the spot that I found the coffin tag on Vero Bch. They found 10 ft. of ship rudder, a 29' keel section, and one iron cannon. I'm sure there are people on this forum that are familiar with this find. They believe it's Spanish and they are hoping that it will turn out to be one of the missing 1715 galleons.
    If it is Spanish, there may also be a British wreck at the same location, mixed together, if my tag is from a shipwreck. I took my artifact to the Sebastian Museum but no one was there on a Sunday that could help me ID.
    Bigcypresshunter.

Floater

BigCypress, Great find, I have read all the theory's here but I would be a little leery of taking it to the Museum unless your willing to part with it.The casual finds Law even though you found it on the beach may apply to it.I would put out a call or PM WreckDiver and see what he thinks about that. Doing some research on the Passengers on the Ships that wrecked during the 1844 time frame might lead you to some interesting conclusions also. Good Luck and once again a very interesting find. HH

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links