Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Dec 2004
    Mansfield, Arkansas
    Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

square hole token?

Ok, I know this one may be impossible, but maybe one of you have seen something like it. I first thought it was a Chinese cash coin when I dug it up, but there is absolutely no markings on this piece. The front and back are pictured. It measures 1 inch across and the square hole is 1/8 inch exactly. Thanks. Added: Made of copper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	token-1.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	368.6 KB 
ID:	272090   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	token-2.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	347.8 KB 
ID:	272091  

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    22 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: square hole token?

Quote Originally Posted by CATFISHJK1
    A washer
    Yea... I agree.

us
    Dec 2004
    Mansfield, Arkansas
    9 times

A washer
    Don't guess I have ever seen a square hole washer. Especially an 1/8" square hole. This is made of copper BTW. Forgot to put that in the first post.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    875 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by 72cheyenne
    A washer
    Don't guess I have ever seen a square hole washer. Especially an 1/8" square hole. This is made of copper BTW. Forgot to put that in the first post.
    They make bolts that are square under the head Name:  bolt square under head.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  2.6 KB that could fit this washer but I dont recall what application would use a copper washer. Maybe for electric.

us
    Jan 2009
    chandler, tx
    whites xlt

I concur.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    Oklahoma
    Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
    3 times

First off, what's the size of the disk? Is it Brass? It looks like the disk to the US Army collar Brass worn by enlisted members. Anyway that what it looks like to this Vet.
    Happy Hunting

Desertfox
    (Paul)

us
    Dec 2008
    1 times

I also agree that this is a US Army enlisted collar disc. The hole is square to prevent the insignia on the front from rolling upside down. This multipiece style of insignia was first used around the beginning of WWII, but the screw entended all the way through the washer and was secured to the uniform with a round nut. In the 1950's the washer had a dome shape, and I believe the style that I took a picture of dates from the 60's, and is still used today.

Name:	100_0510 (Small).JPG 
Views:	274 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	272154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0511 (Small).JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	272155  

nl
    Jun 2007
    West Friesland, NL
    XP Deus
    10 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by bigcypresshunter
    A washer
    They make bolts that are square under the head
    that could fit this washer but I dont recall what application would use a copper washer. Maybe for electric.
    That's easy to answer, for outside use. Copper does not rust.
    West Friesland, Netherlands, www.wf4.nl

nl
    Jun 2007
    West Friesland, NL
    XP Deus
    10 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan11983
    I also agree that this is a US Army enlisted collar disc. The hole is square to prevent the insignia on the front from rolling upside down. This multipiece style of insignia was first used around the beginning of WWII, but the screw entended all the way through the washer and was secured to the uniform with a round nut. In the 1950's the washer had a dome shape, and I believe the style that I took a picture of dates from the 60's, and is still used today.
    The backing plate that you show on your photos (good photos btw) is indented. The one that 72 has is not.
    Could be from an earlier backing plate.
    But I think I will stick to just a copper washer with a square hole in it, I have several washers with square holes. This one was I would think for outside use.
    West Friesland, Netherlands, www.wf4.nl

us
    Dec 2004
    Mansfield, Arkansas
    9 times

A washer
    A square holed copper washer
    Your brilliant! Would I have ever solved that.

A washer
    that could fit this washer but I dont recall what application would use a copper washer. Maybe for electric.
    Thank you bigcy. I to have seen steel washers with square holes that fit over carriage bolts and the like. I just cant picture the bolt or screw that would have to go through this hole. It would have to be very small. Owning a hardware we sell bolts, nuts, washers, etc. all day. Never seen anything like it even in the specialty catalogs.

Quote Originally Posted by desertfox
    First off, what's the size of the disk? Is it Brass? It looks like the disk to the US Army collar Brass worn by enlisted members. Anyway that what it looks like to this Vet.
    Read the first post, It gives the size and material.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan11983
    Now thats a good guess. Best yet. Don't think its the exact one, but now I do believe this is a backing plate for some type of emblem or insignia. Thank you Jordan.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    875 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Woody50
    A washer
    That's easy to answer, for outside use. Copper does not rust.
    Washers for outside use are usually stainless steel or galvanized, even aluminum but rarely copper unless it is needed for a special application such as electrical use. I agree with cheyenne, this is very rare for a washer. Im thinking something inside an old style fuse box but Im probably wrong. Ill go with insignia.

us
    Sep 2008
    Louisiana
    XLT / E
    25 times

I found a brass washer with a square hole just like yours, I thought it was from the internals of an old clock, because I found brass clock gears in the same area.

us
    Dec 2004
    Mansfield, Arkansas
    9 times

Quote Originally Posted by dugit
    I found a brass washer with a square hole just like yours, I thought it was from the internals of an old clock, because I found brass clock gears in the same area.
    That is possible too, we have found many things in the area that have come from inside the household like ornate gas light valves and drawer pulls. So it could be internal clock works.

us
    Sep 2008
    Louisiana
    XLT / E
    25 times

I can see how it could look like a token. It is very close in size to the ones I have been finding.

Name:	DSCN0910.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	296.9 KB 
ID:	272377  

us
    Dec 2004
    Mansfield, Arkansas
    9 times

Quote Originally Posted by dugit
    I can see how it could look like a token. It is very close in size to the ones I have been finding.
    Hey dugit, yours looks exactly like mine. I'm not buying the just a washer deal. Has to go to something. May never know for sure though. Thanks for posting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors