Any Ideas??
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Feb 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    White's M6
    11

    Any Ideas??

    Dug this Sunday near a battlefield.It is blunt on the square end(has been knocked on quite a bit) and round and very thin on the other end.I'm thinking some type of tool/punch?Sorry not the best pics.Any ideas??Thanks


  2. #2
    us
    Jan 2008
    PNW
    631
    111 times
    Finding lost stuff and losing found stuff

    Re: Any Ideas??

    its an old leather punch

  3. #3
    us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
    9,376
    10642 times
    Metal Detecting

    Re: Any Ideas??

    Quote Originally Posted by dozer dan
    its an old leather punch
    ...what Dan said...

    Here's a modern one:



    DCMatt
    "It's a long time between drinks."
    Attributed to John Motley Morehead
    Governor - North Carolina - 1843

  4. #4

    Feb 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    White's M6
    11

    Re: Any Ideas??

    That's what I was thinking.Thanks guys.

  5. #5
    us
    youtube.com/c/BigCypressSwamp

    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    26,945
    3175 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

    Re: Any Ideas??

    What is the size? Is it large enough to make patches?

  6. #6

    Feb 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    White's M6
    11

    Re: Any Ideas??

    The round end opening is the size of a nickel.

  7. #7
    us
    youtube.com/c/BigCypressSwamp

    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    26,945
    3175 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

    Re: Any Ideas??

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel82
    The round end opening is the size of a nickel.
    I shoot round balls in my .45 primitive hunting rifle. I use a patch about quarter size if I recall. Nickel is kind of a large leather punch. Maybe its a small caliber patch cutter?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #8
    us
    youtube.com/c/BigCypressSwamp

    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    26,945
    3175 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

    Re: Any Ideas??

    I just thought of it. It could be a pistol wad cutter. http://www.possibleshop.com/wads.htm

    Nice find. http://possibleshop.com/s-s-patch.html

    Clean it up and look for markings.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  9. #9
    us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
    9,376
    10642 times
    Metal Detecting

    Re: Any Ideas??

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcypresshunter
    I just thought of it. It could be a pistol wad cutter. http://www.possibleshop.com/wads.htm

    Nice find. http://possibleshop.com/s-s-patch.html

    Clean it up and look for markings.
    Huh. Never considered that there was a tool for that. Learn something new everyday...

    DCMatt
    "It's a long time between drinks."
    Attributed to John Motley Morehead
    Governor - North Carolina - 1843

  10. #10
    us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    12,713
    135 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

    Re: Any Ideas??

    cool find and Great ID Dozer!

  11. #11
    us
    Ace250man

    Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    20,044
    195 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: Any Ideas??

    pretty quick id !!
    ALLEN

  12. #12

    Feb 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    White's M6
    11

    Re: Any Ideas??

    Did a little research and found this info and pic on a website.Gonna try and clean mine up and see what it has stamped on it.Thanks again for the info guys!

    DESCRIPTION: Steel wad cutter for cutting out wads for a musket. Possible Civil War era. Has a break in one of the arns which can be seen in the photo. Stamped on the stem is 10 STEEL. Not many of these seen around.

  13. #13
    us
    youtube.com/c/BigCypressSwamp

    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    26,945
    3175 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

    Re: Any Ideas??

    Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcypresshunter
    I just thought of it. It could be a pistol wad cutter. http://www.possibleshop.com/wads.htm

    Nice find. http://possibleshop.com/s-s-patch.html

    Clean it up and look for markings.
    Huh. Never considered that there was a tool for that. Learn something new everyday...

    DCMatt
    When I shoot my rifle or pistol, I buy bullets, patches and wads at the store, but back in the day they made their own from cotton and wool. I think I have one of these tools myself.



    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel82
    Did a little research and found this info and pic on a website.Gonna try and clean mine up and see what it has stamped on it.Thanks again for the info guys!

    DESCRIPTION: Steel wad cutter for cutting out wads for a musket. Possible Civil War era. Has a break in one of the arns which can be seen in the photo. Stamped on the stem is 10 STEEL. Not many of these seen around.
    Glad to have helped. If you find out the value, I am curious to know.

  14. #14
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

    Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    12,112
    14573 times
    Metal Detecting

    Re: Any Ideas??

    If it is "nickel diameter" I would be more inclined to think over-powder and over-shot wads for a muzzleloading shotgun (heavy paper, felt, etc.) but I suppose they might have used wads in muskets.

    The U.S. did not, I don't believe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0789s.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	299968  
    Political correctness is facism pretending to be manners -- George Carlin

  15. #15
    us
    youtube.com/c/BigCypressSwamp

    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    26,945
    3175 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

    Re: Any Ideas??

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY)
    If it is "nickel diameter" I would be more inclined to think over-powder and over-shot wads for a muzzleloading shotgun (heavy paper, felt, etc.) but I suppose they might have used wads in muskets.

    The U.S. did not, I don't believe.
    yes you are correct. I guess its too large for a pistol wad. I dont know what I was thinking.

 

 

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0