Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

May 2008
    Western NYS
    Whites XLT
    2 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Need help in dating early axe head

This axe head was found by a distinguished member of our Club. We don't know the method of manufacture or date of the item, but it appears to be pretty old. Any information on the item would be appreciated. It was cleaned up with a wire brush and laquered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Louies axe head 1.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	321792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Louies axe head 2.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	321793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Louies axe head 3.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	321794  
    "In valor there is hope" Tacitus
    PoliceUnityTour.com

us
    Sep 2007
    Middle Tennessee
    -------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite Tesoro Bandido UMax White's Blue Grey
    4 times

Re: Need help in dating early axe head

I would put the age of the piece easily in the 1700's. It is a Broad Axe. Google the name for more stuff but here is a quote from Wise Geek. Your item cleary fits the description of, "having one beveled edge and one straight. "

"A broad axe is an axe with an extremely broad blade and a very heavy head. This design is intended for use in squaring timbers. Using a broad axe requires a great deal of skill and physical strength, and the necessary skills are growing uncommon, due to the proliferation of mechanized logging equipment which does the same job. It is still sometimes possible to purchase broad axes from logging supply companies and hardware stores.

A typical broad axe has two distinct sides. On one side, the blade of the axe is flat, making it easy to create a smooth edge. On the other, the blade is beveled, allowing the user to wedge it into the wood. When squaring timber, the flat side is faced against the side of the timber, while the bevel side faces the scrap edge, allowing the user to create a smooth edge with one stroke. Because broad axes have two distinct sides, there are right and left hand versions with handles to match.

The most classical use of a broad axe was for creating square timbers such as those used to brace homes and make railroad ties. Once a tree had been felled, a lightweight axe was used to lightly score the timber in a straight line, creating a mark to follow with a broad axe. The user stood on the log to wield the broad axe, and brought it down in powerful blows which were designed to split the timber along the line, creating a squared edge. Once one edge had been made, the log could be flipped to begin on the next edge.

If you ever enter a structure which was constructed in the era when logging was accomplished by hand, you will probably be able to see the strokes of a broad axe on the timbers. Someone who was experienced with the broad axe and in peak physical condition could churn out scores of timbers a day, ensuring the the production line was not clogged by timber waiting to be processed.

In addition to being used to create square timber, a broad axe can also be used to make octagonal timbers, such as those classically used as the masts for ships. A skilled user could also utilize a broad axe to make flooring planks.

Very Nice!!!!

DaChief!

"
    An undisciplined hunter with a highly capable machine will miss many more targets than a disciplined hunter with a limited machine.

Charter Member
    nz
    Oct 2006
    New Zealand
    Minelab Sovereign GT
    75 times

I know it looks very old and intact and intriguing, so I will linger here for a definitive ID.
    Meanwhile, I'm interested to know:
    What size is it?
    What is the blue 'cable ID' type thingy?
    and what do you have to do, to become distinguished?

Cheers, Mike

Oh Yes and, your Link to the info please, DaChief

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    76 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Dachief, I would like to commend you on that complete ID. For those of us that not only enjoy finding out what we find but, also the history that goes with it means a lot! We have kids (7-11 years old) That love this site and huddle around the computer every day to see what people find and what the items were used for. This is the only forum I frequent, and we have enlightened many children for fun and educational purposes. To see ID's like this are refreshing! Keep up the fine work! Sincerely, Staff and Kids
    Swannanoa 4-h child education center and camps

May 2008
    Western NYS
    Whites XLT
    2 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by trikikiwi
    I know it looks very old and intact and intriguing, so I will linger here for a definitive ID.
    Meanwhile, I'm interested to know:
    What size is it?
    What is the blue 'cable ID' type thingy?
    and what do you have to do, to become distinguished?

Cheers, Mike

Oh Yes and, your Link to the info please, DaChief

Mike,
    I would estimate that the axe head is about 6 inches in length and about 4 inches wide, or perhaps just a little larger. The blue cable ID thing is just that, it was put on display as one of our club finds by the finder at a club meeting and was attached for display purposes with some information on it. As far as becoming "distinguished"?? Louie is one of our club Officers who has taken his responsibilities very seriously and whose hard work is appreciated by our members.

I'll tell you one thing, I am impressed with the knowledge imparted by DaChief. THANK YOU!!!
    PoliceUnityTour.com

us
    Dec 2008
    Ohio
    779 times

I dont think you can know the age with no marks on it as these are still made and sold today.
    At around 4" it is a broad hatchet, broad axes are around 10"- 12'' wide.

us
    Mar 2009
    1 times

That axe is not of modern manufacture, it is absolutely hand forged, the eye area is convex and is unevenly tapered to the business end. If factory made all planes would be flat tapers. I would date it 1850 at the latest and is probably much older.

us
    Mar 2009
    Cotopaxi, Colorado
    CZ-7, F5, FX-3
    1 times

I gotta side with TAZ420 a bit on this one.....by DaChief's own description of a Broad Ax.......its not an ax. Its a Broad....or Hewing Hatchet. For fast rough shaping, dimensioning & smoothing of wood, this hewing hatchet is the traditional tool of choice. One face is ground flat to the cutting edge, enabling the tool to be swung flush along a surface. It's made for right-handed use, convertible to left-hand by remounting the head on a new handle. I have a collection of vintage Broad Axes....this is about 1/3-1/2 the size of one.
    I'm not saying it isn't old (it certainly looks as though it is) but as stated hand forge quality examples are still being made today by Gransfors Bruks Tool. Its a tough item to nail down to a date without the manufacturers name or mark.

TiredIron

us
    Sep 2007
    Middle Tennessee
    -------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite Tesoro Bandido UMax White's Blue Grey
    4 times

Given the size, I would correct the description to that of a hatchet also. I would still hold with the age estimation based on the patina and pitting. I have worked many Colonial sites for years and also some more modern sites and I have never pulled anything from a more recent site that had the pitting and patina that these old Colonial Pieces have.

One way to help also would be to have the finder give the history of the location where it was found. If it was a Colonial site or near that time period that has been rediscovered or it was found on an old Colonial type home place, that could help to date it. I would bet that when that information is given, it will tie the date to an older time.

DaChief
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Branding Iron.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	322064  
    An undisciplined hunter with a highly capable machine will miss many more targets than a disciplined hunter with a limited machine.

us
    colonialdigger ny

May 2009
    long island new york
    Fisher F75se, Minelab Excalibur, Minelab etrac, Tesoro sand shark
    62 times
    Metal Detecting

OMG that is a 17th century axe head
    GoLD !

us
    Feb 2007
    paterson nj
    discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50
    187 times

i think it is a mast axe made 1880-1900

May 2008
    Western NYS
    Whites XLT
    2 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Mast axe? I don't know what that is, can you explain? Thanks.
    PoliceUnityTour.com

us
    Feb 2007
    paterson nj
    discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50
    187 times

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors