Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carved stones - From CW site - ***SOLVED- Fairy Stones***

O.K., here's a few strange pieces. These two pieces were in with a bunch of CW relics I recently acquired. All the CW relics were from a battlefield.
    I'm 95% sure these are stone. They look to me to be carved stone pieces and both look pretty similar in shape.
    I know a lot of you have seen & dug carved lead from CW sites, but has anyone ever seen carved stone pieces?
    Should I clean them up with a toothbrush & water?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    MM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-031S.JPG 
Views:	780 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	327243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-032S.JPG 
Views:	504 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	327244  
    *Oldest coin-1775 Spanish 1 real *Oldest U.S. silver-1833 Capped Bust Half Dime *Best coin - 1945 GOLD 2 1/2 peso *Best Civil War finds:*NC officers belt buckle *CSN Confederate Navy Officer button

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    101 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: Carved stones - From CW site

tag

DIG, RECOVER, PRESERVE...THE SCOURGE OF THE DIRT!

Jan 2007
    Virginia
    TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
    270 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (12)

Quote Originally Posted by ModernMiner
    O.K., here's a few strange pieces. These two pieces were in with a bunch of CW relics I recently acquired. All the CW relics were from a battlefield.
    I'm 95% sure these are stone. They look to me to be carved stone pieces and both look pretty similar in shape.
    I know a lot of you have seen & dug carved lead from CW sites, but has anyone ever seen carved stone pieces?
    Thanks,
    MM

A BIG MAYBE: Home-made Caltrops. They could be fashioned all sorts of different ways. I can't say for certain but from the photo looks like maybe they've lost a couple ends to them but these pieces are very similar to caltrops that I've seen over the years

us
    Jan 2005
    Silver Spring, MD
    Fisher
    15 times

Oh cool. I think I can solve this one. I believe they are staurolite crystals..Also called "fairy crosses". I've never solved one of these, so I'm happy if I'm right!

Quote Originally Posted by {Sentinel}
    Thanks,
    MM

A BIG MAYBE: Home-made Caltrops. They could be fashioned all sorts of different ways. I can't say for certain but from the photo looks like maybe they've lost a couple ends to them but these pieces are very similar to caltrops that I've seen over the years
    Josh,
    Funny you said that. I was on a CW relic site today and saw caltrops and thought that exact thing.
    Here's a picture and a bit of info from that site:

"The next item is a Civil War Caltrop which was used by retreating Infantrymen. These pieces were strewn across the road to slop down the advance of the approaching Cavalry. This was an early Booby Trap! No matter how you throw it 3 points always come up. This piece when stepped on will lame the Cavalry Horses."

-MM-
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    *Oldest coin-1775 Spanish 1 real *Oldest U.S. silver-1833 Capped Bust Half Dime *Best coin - 1945 GOLD 2 1/2 peso *Best Civil War finds:*NC officers belt buckle *CSN Confederate Navy Officer button

Quote Originally Posted by ipsilateral
    Oh cool. I think I can solve this one. I believe they are staurolite crystals..Also called "fairy crosses". I've never solved one of these, so I'm happy if I'm right!
    Never heard of those.
    Any samples to post?
    Thanks,
    MM

us
    Feb 2005
    MAINE
    Ace 250
    2813 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)

Interesting , I just looked at a bunch on Google Images - could be .....

Here are some pictures of fairy crosses.
    What do you folks think?

I'm still thinking carved stone.
    -MM-
    Attached Images Attached Images   

DIG, RECOVER, PRESERVE...THE SCOURGE OF THE DIRT!

Jan 2007
    Virginia
    TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
    270 times
    Banner Finds (12)

What do you folks think?

-MM-

My opinion....the fairy stones in the photo above don't look the same as what you have...the characteristics of the items you have looked carved and overlap in certain spots.... HOWEVER, LOOK AT THESE FAIRY STONES BELOW:
    LOOKS LIKE A DEAD MATCH

You see that they have that 'carved' look to them much more than the fairy stones above. My wife said that the ones above that look more like iron crosses are actually manipulated to be perfect like that......but these pictured are them in their natural glory..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2215210373_7de174230c[1].jpg 
Views:	623 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	327264  

us
    Feb 2009
    West Virginia
    Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
    100 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I think your right. Check out the Fairy Stone State Park website. I thought fairy stones as soon as seen them also.
    Dirty Mike

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    101 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Great topic! I learned something today...

us
    May 2009
    central, Illinois
    white's spectrum VX3
    4 times

great id i believe ipsilateral has done it.
    TRADER OF TREASURES

nz
    Oct 2006
    New Zealand
    Minelab Sovereign GT
    634 times

Awesome ID ipsilateral

What amazing structures

Mike

Ipsilateral,
    Thank you so much for that ID. Looking at the pictures Sentinel post, I can see you are dead on.
    GREAT JOB on the ID. I've never even heard of fairy stones until now. That's the great thing about this site, you learn something new all the time. We'll call this one SOLVED.
    Maybe a CW soldier carried them for good luck?
    -MM-

Quote Originally Posted by {Sentinel}
    What do you folks think?

-MM-

My opinion....the fairy stones in the photo above don't look the same as what you have...the characteristics of the items you have looked carved and overlap in certain spots.... HOWEVER, LOOK AT THESE FAIRY STONES BELOW:
    LOOKS LIKE A DEAD MATCH

You see that they have that 'carved' look to them much more than the fairy stones above. My wife said that the ones above that look more like iron crosses are actually manipulated to be perfect like that......but these pictured are them in their natural glory..

Josh,
    Thanks for that picture & you wife's info. I'm sold too. Those are dead on.
    -MM-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links