Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    OUTLAW 007

May 2009
    ILLINIOS
    TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
    20 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

WHAT IS IT? BUCKLE OR STRAP

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030255.JPG 
Views:	376 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	339171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030254.JPG 
Views:	381 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	339172  

Re: WHAT IS IT? BUCKLE OR STRAP

Leather mount...proberbly Horse related

SS
    Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Searcher

Leather mount...proberbly Horse related

SS
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    Why is knowledge power, when life is passing on sh*t... 03/03/19
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

us
    Feb 2009
    NC
    Whites XLT
    44 times

Nice piece etrac007. Agree with leather and kind of looks like buckle. How big is it?

us
    OUTLAW 007

May 2009
    ILLINIOS
    TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
    20 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

its 2 7/8 long and 3/4 inch wide

us
    Jul 2009
    new jersey
    minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
    132 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

SS and Crusader, this might be one of those rare times I disagree with you a little bit....

I agree that it was probably mounted on leather, but it doesn't seem horse related.
    It was found in Illinois, a state where the odds of a colonial type of object being found are much less.
    Harness decoration of this shape usually point downward. If you tilt this on end point up, you find it looks an awful lot like a plant growing out of a pot. Assuming it is, it must have been point up, which also pretty much eliminates buckle also.
    Other than adding that observation (which might be off base) , I don't know what it is.

johnnyi

us
    Aug 2008
    Bryant Arkansas
    Tesoro Euro Sabre, Vaquero, Silver Sabre uMax and 2 Compadres
    9 times

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi
    SS and Crusader, this might be one of those rare times I disagree with you a little bit....

I agree that it was probably mounted on leather, but it doesn't seem horse related.
    It was found in Illinois, a state where the odds of a colonial type of object being found are much less.
    Harness decoration of this shape usually point downward. If you tilt this on end point up, you find it looks an awful lot like a plant growing out of a pot. Assuming it is, it must have been point up, which also pretty much eliminates buckle also.
    Other than adding that observation (which might be off base) , I don't know what it is.

It is deffinetly a buckle.

All belts were not wore sideways.

But, what sort of buckle is the question.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog
    Tabdog in Arkie Land

Quote Originally Posted by tabdog

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog
    I disagree. The end tab is bent out of shape & probably the reason it came of the leather, it used to be bent over like the other 2.

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

us
    Feb 2009
    NC
    Whites XLT
    44 times

I think it's a leather strap buckle. Never seen one before. Great relic and very nice patina on piece

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    124 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog
    Here's my two cents chewed up by a lawnmower.... I have to disagree with the buckle theory and agree with John. It clearly was designed to stand upward depicting a potted plant.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-H

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog
    Here's my two cents chewed up by a lawnmower.... I have to disagree with the buckle theory and agree with John. It clearly was designed to stand upward depicting a potted plant.
    It attached to Leather (I agree with SS probably horse related, but not necessarily)
    It clearly makes sense, in it could have stood upright, but I know of many items which are up-side-down especially on horses. Although they are much older than this piece.
    Some have suggested a buckle but at best it might be more closely linked to a strap-end (however never seen one with 3 lugs).

ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    124 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-H

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog
    It attached to Leather (I agree with SS probably horse related, but not necessarily)
    It clearly makes sense, in it could have stood upright, but I know of many items which are up-side-down especially on horses. Although they are much older than this piece.
    Some have suggested a buckle but at best it might be more closely linked to a strap-end (however never seen one with 3 lugs).
    Agreed

us
    monty

Jan 2005
    Sand Springs, OK
    ACE 250, Garrett
    126 times
    Banner Finds (1)

What kind of a weird cowboy or cowgirl would put a potted plant on his horse tack? There were no gay cowboys or cowgirls! Didn't you ever watch the oaters? Well, except for a couple of guys who went up on this mountain one time and.....you know the story. Obviously lies even though John Wayne walked kinda' funny. It didn't mean anything. Whew! I'm starting to sweat! I think it was some kind of in the house decoration for the girls to admire. Monty
    Don't make me loose the hounds! If you dig, Cover up your holes.

us
    Aug 2008
    Bryant Arkansas
    Tesoro Euro Sabre, Vaquero, Silver Sabre uMax and 2 Compadres
    9 times

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog
    I disagree. The end tab is bent out of shape & probably the reason it came of the leather, it used to be bent over like the other 2.
    It is obvious that it is bent.

What you said, would indicate a buckle.

Is that what you dissagree with?

HH,

Tabdog
    Tabdog in Arkie Land

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog
    It is obvious that it is bent.

What you said, would indicate a buckle.

Is that what you dissagree with?

HH,

Tabdog
    No what he said would indicate a mount, not buckle, hence the three mounting points. It obviously went on leather, but as Johnnyi said it might not be horse related

SS
    Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links