Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Copperhead Badge?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    114 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Copperhead Badge?

I am re-posting this due to overwhelming PM's last night referring to the Badge.
    It would be nice to figure this out. It's obviously cut to be worn for possibly the Copperhead political organization or other reasons. Thanks for your help...Mike

http://books.google.com/books?id=Myp...age&q=&f=false

Most striking are Ellen's comment regarding "Copperheads," a vocal element in the northern Democratic Party who opposed Lincoln's Republican administration, the abolitionist movement, and ultimately the war itself. The Copperheads drew their name from the three cent copper Indian head coins they wore as badges. In many areas of Pennsylvania, they were a political force to be reckoned with, including in Bucks County.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	1581 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	27441   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	1412 
Size:	221.0 KB 
ID:	27442   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	1265 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	354286   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	1271 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	354287   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	1283 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	354288  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	1208 
Size:	221.0 KB 
ID:	354289  

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    5739 times

Re: Copperhead Badge?? Or NOT?

Copperhead lapel pin!

Here is an articlwe from a 1917 Wisc. Historical Magazine refering to the pins:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wischistmag1917.jpg 
Views:	1420 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	354291

DCMatt
    Yossarian: Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. In order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy. And I must be
    crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy anymore, and I have to keep flying.

Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka
    : You got it, that's Catch-22.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller (1961)

Apr 2007
    Mankato, MN
    Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
    43 times
    Banner Finds (3)

It would be nice to see a photo of a verified Copperhead badge. In some of the research I read, it said that the badges were made from Indian Head Civil War tokens. They would file down the token so that the head was all that remained and they would use the wreaths from the back for decoration. This means that the Copperhead Badges would have NOT have the word "Liberty" across the top of the head but would have 13 stars. So if we can find an example where we can see the banner on the head, it would be easy to tell.

I would also like to know the thickness. There does not appear to be anything on the back which means it would have been filed down to get rid of the remains of the "One Cent." There should also be evidence of the filing. Since it was the back and not meant to be seen, most likely it would not have been polished or finished to get rid of all the "evidence." It should be pretty thin.

So it looks like we have another mystery on our hands. Gotta love it.

Daryl
    The only way to really understand something is to play with it.

us
    Oct 2009
    Northern VA
    Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
    9 times

That is really cool. I don't know of anything else it could be other than a copperhead badge. I've heard about them but don't think I've ever actually seen one. As for file marks. I dug half of large cent a while back. By half I mean the obverse and reverse were seperated. I dug the back half and the were no file marks. a few scuffs and that was it. I don't know how or why they did it.
    If no one on Tnet can give you a positive ID send a pic of it to Amercian Digger magazine. Someone there will know for sure

us
    Nov 2009
    New York
    T2/F75 SE
    2660 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

This is from The New Hampshire Patriot 4/8/1863

Apr 2007
    Mankato, MN
    43 times
    Banner Finds (3)

For a long time - and I don't know for sure if this time frame was part of it - it was illegal to deface US currency. For this reason, the badges may have been made with the Indian Head CW tokens that were issued by the State. They were identical except for the "Liberty" across the head and the shield was replaced with another symbol on the back. They also had wording that they were authorized for distribution by the State. That made it legal to put them in circulation.

Daryl
    trikikiwi likes this.

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    5739 times

Quote Originally Posted by BioProfessor
    For a long time - and I don't know for sure if this time frame was part of it - it was illegal to deface US currency. For this reason, the badges may have been made with the Indian Head CW tokens that were issued by the State. They were identical except for the "Liberty" across the head and the shield was replaced with another symbol on the back. They also had wording that they were authorized for distribution by the State. That made it legal to put them in circulation.

Daryl
    The period article posted by Bramblefind says the pins are "in exact imitation" and not made from actual coins. That would explain the back being blank.

I find it interestng that the pins were a result of the name and not the other way around. The following seems to be part of the origin of the "copperhead" political movement name.

10 April 1861, New York Times, "THE IMPENDING WAR," pg. 1:
    A day or two since, when one of the mail-bags coming from the South by way of Alexandria, was emptied in the court-yard of the Post-office, a box fell out and was broken open, - from which two copperheads, one four and a half and the other three feet long, crawled out. The larger one was benumbed and easily killed; the other was very lively and venomous, and was dispatched with some difficulty and danger. What are we to think of a people who resort to such weapons of warfare.

DCMatt
    Yossarian: Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. In order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy. And I must be
    crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy anymore, and I have to keep flying.

Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka

Apr 2007
    Mankato, MN
    43 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Here's what I find:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...ication-disk-2

Civil War 'COPPERHEAD' IDENTIFICATION DISK

Originally worn as a badge of identification by members of the frequently militant Peace Democrats or Copperheads of Civil War era notoriety.. Typical of their practice this badge or pendant is fashioned from a pierced Indian Head Penny dated 1863 (Sometimes the old U.S. large cent was used, see also Philips Excavated Artifacts of the Civil War ). This example, retains a rich age patina and good evidence of period wear. These Copperheads were so-called by their opponents in recognition of their practice of wearing a pierced copper penny as a badge of identification as a Peace Democrat.

Civil War “COPPERHEAD” IDENTIFICATION DISK

Originally worn as a badge of identification by members of the frequently militant Peace Democrats or “Copperheads” of Civil War era notoriety.. Typical of their practice this badge or pendant is fashioned from an old U.S. large cent (a bit larger in diameter and thicker today’s quarter). This example, retains a rich age patina and a deep period initial touch mark These “Copperheads” were so-called by their opponents in recognition of their practice of wearing a pierced copper penny or the “Lady Liberty” cut from a large copper penny as a badge of identification as a Peace Democrat.

Civil War “COPPERHEAD” IDENTIFICATION DISK

Originally worn as a badge of identification by members of the frequently militant Peace Democrats or “Copperheads” of Civil War era notoriety, this offering will be of special interest because it was excavated in the Five Forks area and bears the unquestionably period markings of it’s period owner C. C. DYER. A review of the Historical Data Systems database and Broadfoot’s Union Roster (the best research roster we know) produced only one C. C. Dyer. He was Charles C. Dyer 5th Pa. Cavalry, a hard fought unit that saw action at Five Forks) Typical of their practice, this identification badge was fashioned from a U.S. large cent (a bit larger in diameter and thicker than today’s quarter). These “Copperheads” were so-called by their opponents in recognition of a practice of wearing a pierced copper penny or the “Lady Liberty” cut from a large copper penny as a badge of identification as a Peace Democrat.

I found an image of a Copperhead Badge. It is a large cent. Seems like they wore IH and large cents as holed badges.

Daryl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copperhead.jpg 
Views:	3106 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	354307  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

us
    Nov 2009
    New York
    T2/F75 SE
    2660 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Here's another newpaper clip - The New York Herald 4/5/1863

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    5739 times

So ...

Copperhead lapel pins were made from large cents or large cent tokens or by jewelers imitating Lady Liberty as depicted on the large cent.

When I reread the 1917 article, the writer describes the pins being made from a coin 1 and 1/4 inch in diameter. Even though he refers to the Indian head profile, he's gotta be talking about a large cent.

But I have to believe that pins must have been fashioned from IH pennies at that time simply because they were cheap and easy to get.

Anybody have a sense of how quickly large cents came out of circulation? That might give us another clue. My understanding is that the smaller IH pennies were wildly popular when introduced and quickly replaced the much bulkier LCs.

DCMatt

Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka

Apr 2007
    Mankato, MN
    43 times
    Banner Finds (3)

From what I can find. They were usually holed Large Cents or IH Cents. I am sure they were other variations maybe made as pins and such but probably available from stores for sale. Much cheaper to just take a cent and put a hole in it and put a cord through it. That being said, a pin was probably a common thing. Seems like more would be out there though - dug or non-dug. Wonder why? Maybe all the holed cents that are found were meant to be Copperhead badges but nobody ever thought about it.

Daryl

us
    Oct 2009
    North Carolina
    White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
    1908 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)

Hey Neighbor, this copper head is a really neat find; I've never seen one. Congrats! Breezie
    Every time I watch Gone With The Wind, I think we're gonna win this time!

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    114 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Breezie
    Hey Neighbor, this copper head is a really neat find; I've never seen one. Congrats! Breezie
    Thanks D! It's the first I've seen too.
    I had no idea it may be related to the KGC

Apr 2007
    Mankato, MN
    43 times
    Banner Finds (3)

I think the holed and cut are both used the same way. Make a holed one. Buy a cut one. Could have been more economics than anything else.

Daryl

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    114 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

AMERICAN DIGGER MAGAZINE WROTE:

Hi Mike & Butch,

I believe that what you just found is definitely one of the copperheads badges. I've never seen one like this before, but it sure looks good to me. Is the copper pin soldered or braised to the back? A few months ago I was sent photos of another type of Copperheads pin made from a large cent. I wrote a long Q&A on it & Butch plans on using it eventually. I asked him to include this as a different variety.

Great find,
    Charlie H. American Digger Magazine
    http://www.americandigger.com/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links