Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    umrgolf

Counterfeit 1858 seated liberty quarter?

I dug this last year and just dug it out of some junk.. I just wanted to know if anyone's ever seen silver do something like this? I'm 99% sure its a fake but again, I don't have any counterfeit coins that I know of so, I'd like to be certain. Thanks .. Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ctft 1858.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	354592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ctft 1858 back .jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	354593  

Re: Counterfeit 1858 seated liberty quarter?

Counterfeit
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    Why is knowledge power, when life is passing on sh*t... 03/03/19
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

Turn into copper? Nope!

umrgolf

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch

Turn into copper? Nope!
    hahaha, the reason i asked is cuz it looks silver right around the date

Quote Originally Posted by umrgolf2000

Turn into copper? Nope!
    Yep, would have been plated back in the day. I think I'd rather find that than a legit one.

umrgolf

Turn into copper? Nope!
    Yep, would have been plated back in the day. I think I'd rather find that than a legit one.
    Ok, that makes sense.. I was so mad when I dug it! lol, I yelled over at my partner "hey man, just got a seated quarter!!" when i started cleaning it up, well, it never would clean up I kept thinking 'what the hell is wrong with this coin??' Thanks IP

Turn into copper? Nope!
    Ok, that makes sense.. I was so mad when I dug it! lol, I yelled over at my partner "hey man, just got a seated quarter!!" when i started cleaning it up, well, it never would clean up I kept thinking 'what the hell is wrong with this coin??' Thanks IP

That will prepare you for the gold one should it happen, seen plenty posted over the years. I like counterfeits but mostly the older stuff. As I said I think it's a better find than just an average dug seated.

umrgolf

Turn into copper? Nope!

That will prepare you for the gold one should it happen, seen plenty posted over the years. I like counterfeits but mostly the older stuff. As I said I think it's a better find than just an average dug seated.
    That's what my somebody told me once when I showed em, he thought it was a ctft.. and Im starting to come around to the idea... ya, its not silver but really how many ctft seated quarters do you see posted on here?? Ive never seen one.. thanks again for your time and help .. appreciated IP Jeff

Turn into copper? Nope!

In a way it's kind of a relic from the era. I bet if everyone on the forum was to spend a little time reading about 18th and 19th century counterfeiting there would be a new found appreciation when one was posted. Too many times people group these with modern copies and that shouldn't be the case.

That's what my somebody told me once when I showed em, he thought it was a ctft.. and Im starting to come around to the idea... ya, its not silver but really how many ctft seated quarters do you see posted on here?? Ive never seen one.. thanks again for your time and help .. appreciated IP Jeff

umrgolf

Turn into copper? Nope!

In a way it's kind of a relic from the era. I bet if everyone on the forum was to spend a little time reading about 18th and 19th century counterfeiting there would be a new found appreciation when one was posted. Too many times people group these with modern copies and that shouldn't be the case.

I'm definately guilty of not regarding them as anything significant..

Turn into copper? Nope!

Some are, but most I think interesting is probably a better word.

umrgolf

Turn into copper? Nope!

itd be real interesting if it was worth a couple grand

Turn into copper? Nope!

As a matter of fact I sold a counterfeit halfpenny for that amout. It wasn't my find, but I was the one cashing the check.

umrgolf

Turn into copper? Nope!

As a matter of fact I sold a counterfeit halfpenny for that amout. It wasn't my find, but I was the one cashing the check.

lol, im not even gonna ask how u pulled that off

Turn into copper? Nope!

lol, im not even gonna ask how u pulled that off

It was a rare one and bought by an expert. I ain't that sweet a talker!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links