Bullet found in Lake? I know bullets, but never seen one of these - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11823 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Bullet found in Lake? I know bullets, but never seen one of these

Hio Doc first I ask forgivenes from the others in this lead for straying off of the subject for a bit, but it may help to establish a form of creditability to our statments.

Doc, While in the Border Patrol I used the .357 S&W with a 4" barrel and Keith long range front sights with handloads of 14.5 grains of 2400 with a 156 grain Kieth semiwadcuter pojectile for 1450 fps. it was extremely effective and superbly accurate. I could hit a man sized target up to 500 meters off hand with it. This is what I used to beat the Mexican National pistol champion heheh.

This is what I also carried while exploring the "then" unknown Barrancas and Jungles down here. Later I used a .22 HiStandard GE for small game.

Many took issue with me over chosing the .357 over say a 44 magnum, . but when you have to carry all of your ammo for months with you, you compromse, it never failed me, still here heehe

For the rooms information, no-one shoots like they do in the tv or movies. You only shoot when you have a target or you are soon out of ammunition and may end up under a pile of rocks. an unknown. Most of all, you never hold a pistol sideways for many reasons. sheehs

Incidentally interior and exterior ballistics were my advocation and interest at that time.

Till Eulensppiegle de La Mancha

p.s. Yes, banditry still exists as in th old west in the high and back country. In this em of a news clipping ,it tells of 70 federal soldier fighting with a band of bandits up at TAYOPA shehs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	our dinner in the jungleŠ.jpg 
Views:	692 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	85223  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

May 2006

Here is a bullet very similar to your bullet. it is from a 460 weatherby, which I own. see what you think, I have a 45-70 govt. also. theres not enough difference to speak of, originally, you were wanting to know about the age or to phrase it better, How old the bullet is, as I said earlier, it could be fairly old, late 1800's all the way up to today. of course it is not new, it has aged and weathered as lead does. but this size and shape is not that rare. because you found it, it's worth that to you, finding stuff is fun. all the tech info on bullets that I and others have offered is good, each has their opinions and thats what this site is for.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    " keep lookin where you're steppin "

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11823 times

Off course : HI just what in the world do you use that Weatherby with factory ammo for? It is a magnificient Retina detacher - but fun to shoot. heheh

Tll Eulenspiegle de La Mancha

May 2006

Realde, the 460 is fun to shoot, I just don't shoot it a lot. I shoot the 45-70 govt. more. I don't hunt with either. I hunt with a .44 mag rifle I've had since 1972. I have a custom made .308 I hunt a little with, it's a nail driver at 150 yds. it's weighted, balanced, adjustable competition trigger, floated barrel, my 22-250 is for reaching on out. my 47-70 has only 4 digit serial number, rare for me anyway. I shoot some elmer keith stuff. but nothing I have shoots better than my mod.29 smith. I have had a 1911 govt. of one brand or another since birth, I was given that in place of a baby rattler.

May 2006

Doc, the .44 smith is fun and very accurate with .44 specials. the 1911 would be my up close and personal choice, it's just that good, too easy to drop a empty, in with a full and resume. good control.

I have a Marlin 1895 in very good condition, similar to yours. but the long full version, as I said, it has a 4 digit serial no. and I have a springfield trapdoor, looks like 1873 or 1878 stamped in the stock. I load it weak.

I say "floated" when the barrel is not touching anything. the barrel is free of anything that might affect it due to weather, humidity and can viberate and flex on it's on, I believe it cools better also.

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11823 times

hi Doc, my son's digi won't download for some reason but he scanned the lock of the 50 70. for me. it is a good thing since he found that the kiddies had been playig with it and had left rusty firngerprints all over it sheehs, may have to re-blue it, cold process naturally.

Till Eulenspiegle de La Mancha

Name:	50 70 Springfield lock.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	85564  

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11823 times

diving doc
    And grow a tree to make a new stock.
    Doc
    Nah, stock didn't rust, but kinda hard to put in a scanner. hehehehehheh

Till Eulenspiegle de La Mancha

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11823 times

diving doc
    Right, tree don't fit. D
    but baby oaks do

Tropical tramp Till

us
    Fortune Favors the BOLD, while Karma Favors the Wise!

Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    Modded SD2000 / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    6904 times

Quote Originally Posted by diving doc
    So, which do you like better, your .44 Magnum wheel gun or the 1911 .45 automatic ?? What brand .45-.70 do you have?
    You've got to clue me in, what is a "floated" barrel?
    I've heard of floating barrels for rifles, like one that is not bedded to the stock but this is a term I haven't heard before.
    Doc
    Hey Doc,

How can you seriously ask that question? When we changed from the M1911 to the 92F in the late eighties, I almost cried when I first shot the Beretta. I even had a Smith 626 Stainless, but NOTHING compares to the .45 Colt!

All you have to do is remember the design criteria for the M1911; In the Spanish American War, and the Philippine Insurrection, the soldiers were emptying their .38 revolvers into the enemy, only to have them keep coming. Here's what they wanted for the new sidearm; If a man held his hand up at 50 yards, and was shot in the hand, he should be knocked down by the handshot! The .45ACP will do that! I have personally seen decapitations, and limb amputations with ONE SHOT!

Now about reliability under fire; unless your ammunition is bad, or your weapon is broken, there is no way the wheel gun will not work (no jams, cook offs, magazine problems, etc). In carrying the .45 into combat in many different weather situations over 6 years, I have NEVER had one malfunction! They were so worn and used, when you shook them, they sounded like a metal bucket of bolts shaking. SEVEN safety features!

Mike
    "You wouldn't like me when I'm mad, because I back up my rage with hard facts and logic!" - The Credible Hulk

............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11823 times

[=gollum]

You've got to clue me in, what is a "floated" barrel?
    floating, floated, float, are interchangeable depending upon the time frame reference intended.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    NOTHING compares to the .45 Colt!
    in terms of accuracy or reliability?

All you have to do is remember the design criteria for the M1911; In the Spanish American War, and the Philippine Insurrection, the soldiers were emptying their .38 revolvers into the enemy, only to have them keep coming. Here's what they wanted for the new sidearm;
    That was the 38 so called long colt, underpowered compared to todays 38 spec.

If a man held his hand up at 50 yards, and was shot in the hand, he should be knocked down by the handshot! The .45ACP will do that! I have personally seen decapitations, and limb amputations with ONE SHOT!
    See attachment

Now about reliability under fire; unless your ammunition is bad, or your weapon is broken, there is no way the wheel gun will not work (no jams, cook offs, magazine problems, etc).
    I agree, I am strictly a wheel guy myself.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
    In carrying the .45 into combat in many different weather situations over 6 years, I have NEVER had one malfunction! They were so worn and used, when you shook them, they sounded like a metal bucket of bolts shaking. SEVEN safety features!*
    So true, but accuracy suffers for it. But then they weren't designed for long range, but close in work, say 10 15 meters, under unbelievably dirty conditions, mud, rain, sand etc.etc.. My fav. wheel gun prob would not function reliably under the same conditions.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

In reading the attachment pp2, pay attention to the Index regarding the Strasbourg test. This is how long it took goats to drop after being hit in the lung areas, equivalent to human reactions. I.E. how long he would be aggressive after being shot. The 45 acp gave him almost 14 secs to continue cutting or whatever on you before dropping. not nice, and this is for calm reactions, not bolstered by drugs or rage.

sorry if this doesn't jive with your fav tv or movie heros shooting the baddies hehehe.

Tropical Tramp Till Eulenspiegle de La Mancha

Name:	Hand gun stopping power.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	86277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hand gun stopping  power pp2.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	86278  

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11823 times

HI, additional bit of thought.

If it takes a 45 ACP FMJ almost 14 sec to finally drop a calm goat with one shot, how comfortable would you feel with a charging Grizzly, Lion, Leopard or any other dangerous game, including a man that is crazd with drugs, fear, or rage wielding a knife with bad intentions on your person?.. Just very slowly count to 14 and understand that this the time that he has to work on you with his knife or whatever after being shot with one bullet...

Tropical Tramp Till Eulenspiegle

peg legged

Other than MAN I hever did much hunting of just animals. Although I did my share.
    I went into the military in 1952 and became a Sniper in 1953 and went to Korea the same year. It seems that I was very good at what I was trained to do. I recall that I used to drill a small hole in the projectile and fill the hole with mercury. I could bring down a 6" dia tree with one hit. I could also lift a 50 gallon drum of water off the ground. Did a lot of PLINCKING . I also recall at the family reunions we used to use a 22 and strike matches on fence post before dinner. I was 7 at the time.
    PEG Leg

us
    Fortune Favors the BOLD, while Karma Favors the Wise!

Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    Modded SD2000 / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    6904 times

Quote Originally Posted by peg legged
    Other than MAN I hever did much hunting of just animals. Although I did my share.
    I went into the military in 1952 and became a Sniper in 1953 and went to Korea the same year. It seems that I was very good at what I was trained to do. I recall that I used to drill a small hole in the projectile and fill the hole with mercury. I could bring down a 6" dia tree with one hit. I could also lift a 50 gallon drum of water off the ground. Did a lot of PLINCKING . I also recall at the family reunions we used to use a 22 and strike matches on fence post before dinner. I was 7 at the time.
    PEG Leg
    Actually, what the Mercury was for (against the Geneva Convention) was to poison whoever it hits. Get what seems like a light wound, and they die in a couple of days. You also have to cover the hole with candle wax.

How About:
    Drilling a hole and filling the slug tip with white phosphorous match heads? Definately causes the slug to do crazy things when it hits the body.

or

Before all the fancy Aluminum Eagle Claw and Hydra Shock Rounds (my two favs), there was always the old cutting a cross in the tip.

Lots of old home made ways to make the slug expand upon entrance.

Mike
    "You wouldn't like me when I'm mad, because I back up my rage with hard facts and logic!" - The Credible Hulk

............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links