What is this?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Mar 2005
    Vinemont, Alabama
    Garrett Ace 250
    190 times
    Metal Detecting

What is this?

I just got in from detecting at my grandma's and found this thing near the garden. It appears to be a flattened piece of copper with "1571" on one side and a big "V" on the other. It was about 2 inches deep and my uncle said it could have just been something my dad or he made when they were kids, but he's not sure. I don't know what the significance of the "1571" or "V" could be. Any ideas on this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "Today's the day!" - Mel Fisher

hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    276 times

Re: What is this?

Did your Uncle say why they would have made it or that they normally made things like this ? Because it certainly looks homemade. Nice find tho....sentimental value if your dad did make it.
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

PBK

May 2005
    211 times

Quote Originally Posted by gypsyheart
    ...it certainly looks homemade. Nice find tho....sentimental value if your dad did make it.
    Actually, the marks look as if they were made with the bit of a screwdriver: . When I was a kid, we used to do the same thing on pieces of lead or tin, repeatedly whacking a screwdriver with a hammer to form letters or designs.

us
    Mar 2005
    Vinemont, Alabama
    Garrett Ace 250
    190 times
    Metal Detecting

My uncle didn't say why they would have done this, but he did suggest the lettering looked like it was done with a screwdriver. Thanks for the replies.

us
    Mechelle

May 2006
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

were there any locksmiths in the family?
    So many tangles in life are so ultimately hopeless that there is no appropriate sword,other than laughter.......

us
    Mar 2005
    Vinemont, Alabama
    Garrett Ace 250
    190 times
    Metal Detecting

Not that I know of, why?

us
    Mechelle

May 2006
    6 times

for some reason 1571 v keeps showing up under locks, was he catholic............Pius V persistently and successfully attempted to form a general league against the Turks, as the result of which the Battle of Lepanto (October 7, 1571) ...

So many tangles in life are so ultimately hopeless that there is no appropriate sword,other than laughter.......

Dec 2004
    68 times

maybe they played kings and peons instead of cowboys and indians

us
    Mechelle

May 2006
    6 times

HAHA A anyway, Im thinking too that this is just something he was pounding on just playing around with his kid, who knows....It could be just a sentimental piece of copper an old penny pounded to bits,only he knows the meaning

us
    Mar 2005
    Vinemont, Alabama
    Garrett Ace 250
    190 times
    Metal Detecting

You guys are probably right, but I like your Catholic theory. My great-grandparents were Catholics and came to the U.S. around 1902.

Oct 2005
    Charleston S.C.
    12 times

Maybe Your Dad & Uncle Had A Little Too Much Time On Their Hands. trk5capt...

Sponsored Links