Glass rods?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Feb 2005
    Ace 250
    3720 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)

    Glass rods?

    Found these in a bottle dump . Any ideas what there for ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 076.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	87017   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 077.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	87018  

  2. #2

    Jun 2006

    Re: Glass rods?

    Those items double as a stopper and applicator for old medicine / alechemy bottles...

    The stopper simply fits into the bottle, the user pulls out the stopper, and applies whatever was inside the bottle , to the "Target" location using the ball end of the stopper...


  3. #3

    Mar 2005
    Orlando, FL
    10 times

    Re: Glass rods?

    I agree with ryanc11. I also have seen them used as perfume applicators. Neat find.


  4. #4

    Jun 2006

    Re: Glass rods?

    Yea, originally thought perfume applicator at first but these look a little to long for perfume. As well as not decorative as a perfume stopper. I think this stopper was built more for practical purposes, as if one were to hold like a syringe with the thumb firmly gripping the top against the raised bumps.

    May have been posted already but here is a real good site on historic bottles - very comprehensive.

  5. #5
    Oct 2005
    Summerville, South Carolina
    Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
    15 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

    Re: Glass rods?

    I first thought maybe a drink stir, but not out of glass, a applicator seem more reasonable, Art...

  6. #6

    Re: Glass rods?

    most likely applicator for medcation although there are a lot of glass swizzle sticks.

  7. #7

    Mar 2006
    Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
    Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
    29 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Glass rods?

    Could be for application of some type of acid?
    Please look at my museum website.....
    My playtoy site:

  8. #8

    May 2005
    2 times

    Re: Glass rods?

    My first thought was drink stirers. My dad had some glass ones when I was growing up. They had the little ball on the end also. I was going to guess that the flat end could be used to kind of mash stuff in a drink. Like sugar and the mint in a Julip.

    I suppose they could also be for medicine bottles or perfume. The bulb end would be effective for dripping measured amounts maybe.

    How long are they. I would think for perfume they would be pretty short. For drink stirers kind of long. I don't know what size medicine bottles though but I would think also rather small.
    White's Spectrum XLT, Bullseye II Pinpointer

  9. #9

    Re: Glass rods?

    a lot of people sold their snake oil in deep bottles so it wouldn't surprise me if the applicators were long.

  10. #10
    BjC is offline
    Coin Pirate

    Mar 2006
    In Your Backyard
    1 times

    Re: Glass rods?

    Now you can use them to mix your drinks

  11. #11
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9954 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Glass rods?

    They're called muddlers.It's just another name for a swizzle stick.The end is shaped like that to "muddle" the sugar and bitters in the bottom of the glass.
    Attached Images Attached Images  



Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search tags for this page

glass rod ball applicator

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0