Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    us
    Don Roberto

Apr 2011
    Chicago
    BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
    7 times

Update: Mini Coffin Found . . . Desecrated?

Nothing really salient in today's after work hunt in the woods. A 1939 wheaty, a couple of old marbles, and some clad.

Now, the "micro" coffin (of which I have no idea what was used for) was in my opinion desecrated and who knows, looted. I was detecting in an area that I noted was recently detected by another folk because I saw many open holes. Come on! Rule #1 is to always cover our holes. The coffin was not covered either. In fact the lid and the cross were out of the hole. So, I wonder if there was someting metallic inside the coffin. Otherwise, how the MD found it? I passed mine over the hole and no signal was received. Not my business if whatever was in the coffin was taken, but at least everything should've been covered again. Come on, it was probably a memorial or something like that.

Well it is not my business if he/she took whatever was inside the coffin, but please cover your holes, would you?

Update:

I found these suppliers of mini cuffins:

http://www.novelty-wooden-coffins.com/

http://www.vampcoffins.com/

http://www.ateammasters.com/Value.html

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=miniature+coffins (lots of them in e-bay)

I noted mentioning of Dia de los Muertos (Day of the dead), a Mexican celebration.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coffin.jpg 
Views:	1049 
Size:	241.9 KB 
ID:	546378  
    Every buried treasure holds a history that the hunter ought to uncover!

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    687 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Mini Coffin Found . . . Desecrated?

how big was this mini coffin ? --might have been a childs or infants coffin from the old days * screwing around with ANY TYPE OF COFFIN IN MY BOOK IS A MASSIVE NO NO.

us
    Don Roberto

Apr 2011
    Chicago
    BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by ivan salis
    how big was this mini coffin ? --might have been a childs or infants coffin from the old days * screwing around with ANY TYPE OF COFFIN IN MY BOOK IS A MASSIVE NO NO.
    Too small for a child. It was about 8" long. But, regardless of the use, I agree, messing with a memorial or whatever purpose it was, a coffin is off limits for me and it should be for all of us.

Felinepeachy

Pet rat?

us
    Don Roberto

Apr 2011
    Chicago
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by Felinepeachy
    Pet rat?
    or a pet bird. Or who knows, a witchcraft?

Felinepeachy

Creepy whatever it was.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    687 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

not too small if the body was creamated first and the ashes buried -- a coffin shaped ash holder is possible -- no matter what once a coffin is unearthed -- I say --recover / rebury right away and do a I'm sorry for disturbing you prayer -- hey sure I'm a treasure hunter -- but I'm not a grave robber / archaeologist ( degreed grave robber )

us
    Don Roberto

Apr 2011
    Chicago
    7 times

not too small if the body was creamated first and the ashes buried -- a coffin shaped ash holder is possible -- no matter what once a coffin is unearthed -- I say --recover / rebury right away and do a I'm sorry for disturbing you prayer -- hey sure I'm a treasure hunter -- but I'm not a grave robber / archaeologist ( degreed grave robber )
    I agree, it could've been an ash holder, but anything like that should be left alone.

Smee

hey sure I'm a treasure hunter -- but I'm not a grave robber / archaeologist ( degreed grave robber )
    Brother, you definitely got that right!

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    5141 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

wood ? not there long.

Perhaps a School or Personal Project ?

(Close up video to look full size,
    while making a home made movie)

& Nothing to do with a detectorist,
    Voodoo or burial

Maybe even Geo-cache or other Treasurehunt project

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    688 times

weird, might have been someone's stash spot, but definitely not there too long or it would have rotted. If you're really worried about it notify the police, or the county coroner.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    5141 times

first thing Ground & weather would
    have destroyed

Name:  Coffin.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  12.5 KB

us
    Don Roberto

Apr 2011
    Chicago
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by texastee2007
    It was not buried deep enough for a person grave? Even out here in the concrete dirt the graves are around the 6' mark. Now could it have been a pet? Any chance four legged animals dug it up? We have alot of coons and coyotes that come to dig in the softened ground. It looks like your soil is pretty rich and that wood would have started to breakdown pretty quick.
    I'm incline to think someone buried his dog's ashes under the dog's favorite tree. This is not deep in the woods, but at the picnic/open area of the forest. I did not smell anything coming from the coffin and yes it was already showing signs of decomposition, although I concur that it was placed not too long ago.

us
    Nov 2009
    New Jersey
    Garrett GTAx 350 (for now)
    6 times

Re: Update: Mini Coffin Found . . . Desecrated?

If you took it home we will most likey see you on that show Haunted Collector, lol.

I don't think a 8" casket would hold all the ashes from a person, would it? An infant or animal is more believable.

That's just to creepy, as neat as it is because it's tiny I think I would have to bury it where I found it.

That's kinda like the "Execution in Progess" light I seen at a yard sale that came from a local prision, as cool as it was I wouldn't want it in my house.

us
    Nov 2009
    New Jersey
    Garrett GTAx 350 (for now)
    6 times

Re: Update: Mini Coffin Found . . . Desecrated?

Even though there is nothing Metallic about it, the guy could have seen the cross, and as low as it sounds dug there anyway.
    I gotta wonder if that's not dirt inside it but ashes.
    This person must be a real winner, leaving holes all over and leaving that as you found it is what shuts this hobby down.
    There should be an IQ test you have to take before buying a detector.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors